Director of Strategic Initatives - Finance
Company: University of Kansas
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Director of Strategic Initatives - Finance Position Overview The
University of Kansas seeks a highly organized individual with
experience in supporting executive leadership in managing strategic
projects and communicating priorities. This position is a key
member of the Vice Provost for Finance (VPF) leadership team,
providing strategic, executive and administrative management.
The successful candidate will be the lead liaison and project
manager for major and minor projects and strategic priorities
originating from VPF. This position will provide communications
assistance for the VPF, ensuring accurate and timely communications
with diverse audiences.
This position reports to, and serves at the pleasure of, the VPF.
The incumbent is required to satisfactorily complete University
background check requirements and is expected to maintain
confidentiality due to the required access to privileged and
sensitive information (financial, security, personnel budget,
The University of Kansas is especially interested in candidates who
have professional experience working with a wide constituency and
are conscious of diversity and equity perspectives. Women,
minorities, and candidates who will contribute to the climate of
diversity in the area are especially encouraged to apply. Job
Description Strategic Leadership (40%):
- Participates with leadership in being a thought partner to
continuously evolve the strategic direction of the organization.
Review strategies to ensure projects align with the strategic plan
and desired outcomes.
- Develop and deliver complex presentation materials including
charts, graphs and other data representations and make
recommendations for new operational strategies, programs and/or
revisions to existing policies to senior leadership and other
- Translates strategies into actionable and quantitative plans.
Assists in monitoring the execution of the strategic plan.
- Serves as principal assistant and logistics manager for the
VPF, working closely with the leadership team to advocate and
promote their strategic agenda.
- Serves on the VPFs leadership team and is responsible for
staying abreast of priorities, evolving issues, policies and
concerns in order to effectively represent and articulate the VPF's
position as called upon.
- Drafts substantive correspondence for the VPF's review. Attends
meetings representing the VPF, when needed.
- Conducts high-level relevant business research, analyses,
compilation, and reporting on specific projects assigned by the
VPF. Project Management (50%):
- Provides project management for multiple major and minor
university financial projects. Manages these projects independently
and provides tactical and strategic planning, coordination, creates
documentation, presentations/reporting, communication plans,
timelines, and team assignments, and is responsible for successful
- Responds to questions, conducts research and/or data analysis
on issues as needed, provides consistent follow-up on issues, and
ensures that all project timelines are completed timely.
- Develops key performance indicators for each project with
stakeholders to ensure data collection, analysis and reporting is
available to measure outcomes for ongoing strategic planning
- Creates, disseminates, updates a project summaries and briefs
the VPF regularly on the status of outstanding issues.
- Provides a central contact point for the dissemination of
communication and outreach efforts on the VPF's behalf.
- Assists in preparation of reports, correspondence, or other
documents which may be required by external entities.10% Other
duties as assigned Position Requirements This position will be a
hybrid of telework and on-site work as determined by supervisor.
- Master's degree and 3 years of related experience or Bachelor's
degree in a related field and 5 years or related experience.
- Experience working with key leadership positions in strategic
planning to achieve organizational design plans and
- Three years of experience supervising/managing multiple
projects to ensure implementation deadlines are met.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as evidenced
by application materials, interview process, and references.
- Demonstrated skill in analyzing complex issues and data and
presenting conclusions and recommendations in a concise,
systematic, and understandable manner as evidenced by application
materials, interview and references.
- Experience handling confidential data and materials.
- Three years' of experience in utilizing web-based technologies
and spreadsheet/database software such as Microsoft Office suite
(Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams). Preferred Qualifications
- Master's Degree in related field
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with the
demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups
- Strong work ethic with ability to work effectively and
efficiently, with a capacity for managing simultaneous
responsibilities and reprioritizing projects
- Experience in policy analysis, legal research methods,
interpretation and application of state and federal statutes
- Certification in Project Management
- Experience in developing and communicating data and/or
materials to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly self-directed,
detail-oriented, and have high attention to accuracy as evidenced
by prior work experience, application materials, and/or reference
information. Additional Candidate Instructions A complete
application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application review will begin February 1st, 2021, and will be on a
continuing basis until a qualified pool of candidates is
identified. Commensurate wtih Experience, minimum of $75,000
firstname.lastname@example.org 785-864-4946 1246 West Campus Road, Room 103
Carruth O'Leary Hall
The University of Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7521 The annual security report about KU
safety policies, crime statistics, and campus resources is
available online at http://ku.edu/safety , or on paper by
contacting the [Office of the Vice Provost of Student Affairs
(previously Dean of Students)], 133 Strong Hall, (785) 864-4060.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of
race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age,
ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation,
marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender
expression, and genetic information in the university's programs
and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university
policy. The following persons have been designated to handle
inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the
Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of
the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu , Room
1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue,
Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence,
Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal
Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway,
Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina,
and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Keywords: University of Kansas, New York , Director of Strategic Initatives - Finance, Accounting, Auditing , Lawrence, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!