Company: The New York Racing Association
Location: New York
Posted on: January 16, 2022
The Senior Auditor is actively involved in activities such as
the preparation of detailed programs for audits, the review of
complex financial, operational, compliance and risk systems,
processes, and procedures to determine efficiency, effectiveness
and alignment with internal policies, procedures, regulations, and
industry standards. Support the audit team in defining the scope of
audits, identifying key risk areas, and reviewing relevant controls
across the organization in support of the annual risk-based audit
plan. Responsibilities Essential functions of the Senior Auditor
include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs complex operational, compliance, financial, and
investigative audits for NYRA, which involves:
- Preparing for an audit by researching and organizing all
pertinent information, e.g., prior audits, procedure manuals,
- Developing an audit plan and preparing an audit planning memo
that outlines the current situation, identifies areas of potential
risk, and describes the steps to complete the audit.
- Completing the audit by examining, testing, verifying and
evaluating operational areas as required.
- Engaging in preliminary discussions with business owners to
verify and obtain explanations of and reasons for each deficiency
and documenting the responses.
- Compiling and evaluating audit findings; preparing and
presenting the results of audit work and making recommendations to
implement audit findings.
- Establishes reasonable project time budgets, monitors the
progress of audit projects, completes the project on-time, and
periodically reports results to the Manager and Director.
- Monitors and tracks the implementation of audit findings and
recommendations to ascertain whether agreed upon corrective
measures have been implemented. Reports findings to the Internal
- Assist the Internal Audit Manager in communicating the results
of internal audit projects via written reports and oral
presentations to the Internal Audit Director and Management.
- Design and implement an audit analytics program
- Demonstrate advanced technology and leading practices specific
to audit analytics and data visualization to drive strategic
benefits in the areas of audit quality, efficiency and value.
- Develop data visualizations using creative and innovative
solutions to provide insights and analysis throughout the audit
- Work with large data sets, understand common data quality
issues / cleansing techniques
- Able to identify trends and patterns
- Understand and work with statistical techniques and
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently, with limited
required direction and guidance, and provides appropriate guidance
to the internal audit staff, as directed by the Internal Audit
Manager and Director of Internal Audit.
- Maintains knowledge of various professional internal auditing
standards, such as COSO, COBIT, ERM, etc. Keep abreast of changes
in standards or technologies, and, where appropriate, recommend
changes to the internal audit approach.
- Demonstrates the ability to make effective decisions and draw
sound conclusions based on the situation.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize appropriate internal audit
procedures, assess the validity of existing policies and
procedures, and recommend sound alternatives as necessary.
- Demonstrates the ability to carry out assignments discreetly in
sensitive and confidential situations.
- Plans and manages special projects as directed by the Internal
Audit Manager and Director of Internal Audit.
- Stays abreast of NYRA policies and procedures, current
developments in racing industry, accounting and auditing
professions, and changes in local, state, and federal laws, as
- Coordinates and interacts with management, administrators,
faculty, and staff, and with external audit agencies, as
- Consults with and advises management, administrators, faculty,
and staff on operational and administrative issues.
- Keeps the internal audit team and management abreast of any
potential project issues on a timely basis.
- Manages several audit projects simultaneously.
- Mentors and trains audit staff.
- Pursue professional development opportunities, professional
association memberships, and certifications related to internal
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Qualifications
Education: Bachelor's degree, preferably in Accounting or Finance.
Experience: 4-6 years of auditing, accounting or other relevant
experience in large corporations; experience in a Big 4 public
accounting environment preferred Other: Certified Public Accountant
(CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) is a plus.
Keywords: The New York Racing Association, New York , Senior Auditor, Accounting, Auditing , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!