Posted on: May 16, 2022
OPERATIONS MANAGERAPPARATUS is a New York-based designer and
manufacturer of a distinctive catalog of high-end, high-touch
lighting, furniture and objects. We produce both in-house and with
the support of high-quality external partners; our catalog is sold
globally.This role is responsible for managing the people and
operations of the Inventory, Machining and Metal Preparation teams
to produce and promote quality work within production
- Oversee the on-time and quality completion of all Inventory,
Machining and Metal Preparation functions within production
- Manage a team that supports the department needs, ensuring they
receive adequate training, real-time constructive feedback, a clear
workload, priorities, and deadlines.
- Create team members' schedule to ensure adequate staff and
- Assign daily work based on calendar needs and staffing.
Advocate and plan for overtime hours to meet committed deadlines,
- Deep understanding of production operations, dependencies, and
impacts on people and processes. Work with team to ensure the
necessary reporting visibility, resources, and processes to reach
and exceed targets.
- Schedule incoming production and internal orders, manage and
communicate work order release schedule, ensure team and space are
prepared and manage work orders with real-time system update.
Respond and communicate accordingly to demand and business-driven
- Create and monitor reports in Salesforce to understand and act
on key department and individual performance metrics. Provide
weekly performance reporting to the Director of Production.
- Communicate and collaborate with subcontractors, plan /
generate / confirm / track purchase orders, resolve any material
availability issues, provide timely and complete quality feedback
and corrective redlined technical drawings, as needed.
- Maintain an expert-level aesthetic and functional understanding
of all active collections, components, suppliers, and quality
parameters; ensure successful and on-time new product rollout and
on-going production. Train and manage team to the same level.
- Keep accurate work order, inventory, and budget reports.
Maintain minimum stock levels while factoring for planned growth,
trends, and company initiatives. Timely submission and closure of
all orders and expenses. Reconcile and conduct root cause analysis
on discrepancies and damage.
- Ensure departments are sufficiently stocked. Oversee physical
inventory audits and cycle counts: schedule, process, and tools to
ensure efficiency and accuracy.
- Advance operations related time and costs reductions through
effective people and resource management, operational efficiencies,
supplier management and cost negotiations. Manage data
- Recommend improvements in systems, equipment, and lean
processes supporting accuracy, agility, responsiveness, business
continuity and resilience. Coordinate, manage and evaluate the
implementation of new processes in area of responsibility. Maintain
and/or establish relevant SOPs.
- Lead by example, create a work environment that promotes a high
level of engagement and accountability, skill-building, efficiency,
and communication, driving excellence in productivity and
- Coach staff to achieve goals by clearly communicating the
metrics by which success is measured in each area of the business,
with additional focus on Assistant Manager development. Ensure
training goals and objectives are met for newly hired
- Enroll team members in new processes and initiatives to collect
feedback and gain buy-in.
- Champion and help rollout change initiatives and continuous
- Promote and support Company policies and ensure compliance with
Company and government safety regulations, provide feedback and
training to team members when necessary.
- Reprioritize work when needed to help support the needs of the
team or the business, escalate bandwidth challenges in advance of
missing calendar deadlines.
- Participate in a weekly 1:1 and Manager meeting.
- Accountable for a high standard of cleanliness that results in
a pristine work environment - responsible for overseeing both
individual workstations and common areas in the department.
- Perform operational daily tasks including opening and closing
duties, toggling competed work in Salesforce, providing final QC
sign-off for team members.
- Be a conduit of conversation, feedback and advocacy between
team members and VP of Manufacturing and escalate any issues that
require additional support.
- Creatively problem solve for issues that impact your
department, communicating your proposed solutions to the Director
of Production and collaborating to a final result.
- Provide on-site leadership for 40-50 hours per week, including
evening and weekend flexibility to oversee team member overtime,
participate in installations or help with special projects.
- Support company initiatives and projects on an as-needed
- Write and deliver thoughtful and accurate annual performance
reviews, advocate for team member advancement and
- Assure proper maintenance of systems and equipment in area of
responsibility. Coordinate longer-term planning for major
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Proactive communication and commitment to seeing things through
- Demonstrate an excellent level of flexibility toward an
evolving landscape; remain open to process and people changes and
feedback of what's working well and what isn't.
- Learn and maintain a deep level of product knowledge with the
ability to communicate and demonstrate procedures to team members
clearly and effectively.
- Proven complex problem-solving and analytical skills. Highly
proficient with Excel and Salesforce. Ability to create and use
reports and dashboards.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Commitment to independent learning and expanding professional
and technical knowledge.
- Demonstrated commitment to working cross-functionally and
openness to giving and receiving feedback from peers, team members,
managers, and senior leadership.
- Self-motivated with excellent time management, responsible,
proactively communicates, and thrives in a culture of
- Ability to work well under pressure or amid competing
- Ability to motivate and inspire a team and drive results.
- Ability to give team members thoughtful and helpful feedback
and coach to results.
- Solutions-based thinker with a consistently positive attitude,
displayed both as an individual and within a collaborative
- Deep understanding of department operations, dependencies, and
impacts on people and processes, both internal and external.
- Able to foster open communication, accept delegation, manage
up, effectively respond to feedback and proactive in seeking
support and help when needed.
- Desire to be a part of a small team, flexible, with the ability
to pivot to accomplish company goals.
- Trustworthy with sensitive, confidential, and proprietary
information.EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years as a manager or in a leadership role for a comparative
business that deals with high quality product and customer
- Firm grasp of manufacturing, inventory, business, and
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Material Resource Planning
(MRP), and/or Inventory Control systems.
- Experience in a high-paced environment that values consistency,
efficiency, and excellence.
- Experience servicing high-end clientele.
- Proven experience managing competing priorities and urgent
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively;
ability to delegate and drive for results.
- Experience in a business that requires a team to execute the
common vision, understands the value of the individual and the
- Bachelor's degree: Engineering/Manufacturing, Mathematics,
Finance (Business Planning, Dynamic Forecasting)
- Category specific industry experience.
- Salesforce experience.
- Project management experience.
- Professional qualification / certification from related
professional body (ISM-CPM / CPSM, APICS).WORK SCHEDULE
- Full-time studio hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM.
- Longer hours and weekend availability as needed.PERFORMANCE
REVIEW AND CHECK-INS SCHEDULE
- Weekly 1:1s.
- Annual performance review.This is a full-time position with
competitive compensation and benefits. We are an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Position is based at APPARATUS PRODUCTION in Red Hook.
Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Keywords: APPARATUS, New York , Operations Manager, Accounting, Auditing , Brooklyn, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!