Administrative Assistant - PT
Company: Adelphi University
Location: New York
Posted on: February 16, 2020
Administrative Assistant - PTJob Department/SchoolUniversity
LibrariesFT/PT/TempPart timeLocationGarden City, N.Y.Apply
NowAdministrative Assistant - PTUniversity LibrariesABOUT
ADELPHI:Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded,
nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research and
teaching university dedicated to transforming students lives
through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning
and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi
offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and
professional training, with particular strength in our Core
FourArts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and
Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a
Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Islands
oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100
students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning
hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and
online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate
majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences
and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout
the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country,
a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries,
and rising rankings from top publications and organizations,
Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long
Island and in the region.Our union positions have excellent
benefits including Tuition Remission for the employee, spouse and
dependent children.JOB SUMMARY:The Administrative Assistants
primary responsibility is to provide excellent service to the
Adelphi community. They will consistently demonstrate a strong
commitment to service within the context of the mission of the
library and the University. This includes knowledge of policies and
procedures, participating in service development, and working
knowledge of both online and physical resources. Additional
responsibilities include processing of all User Service related
requests (ex. Reserve, Connect NY and Smart Delivery/Interlibrary
Borrowing etc.). Administrative Assistant will adapt to meet the
evolving needs of students, faculty and administration.REPORTS TO:
User Services SpecialistRESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- The Administrative Assistant will identify, locate, use, and
teach others to use basic print and electronic resources and -
confer with colleagues including librarians when necessary. The
Administrative Assistant will perform a basic reference interview,
and refer to a subject matter expert when appropriate.
- Demonstrate commitment to and participation in library
- Articulate to others the mission and goals of the library and
the services it provides. This includes knowledge/awareness of
services provided by other library and campus wide departments, and
promoting the library during admission events, such as Open House,
Accepted Students Day, Orientation, etc.
- Serve as an advocate for the library and display an attitude
that demonstrates a strong commitment to service.
- Consistently provide high quality service in person, over the
phone, and electronically.
- Regularly attend meetings, training, and conferences - use the
information learned at these sessions to develop and share
knowledge across library departments.
- Actively participate in the development of services by keeping
informed of issues, policies and procedures; contributing to staff
meetings and debriefings, and serving on related committees. Make
recommendations for service improvement.
- Respond to patron inquiries and provide service in person,
electronically, by telephone.
- Process all User Service related requests (ex. Reserve, Connect
NY, and Smart Delivery/Interlibrary Borrowing etc.).
- Perform/follow building opening and/or closing procedures as
- Maintain statistics and compile reports.
- Learn and use the various resources the library provides, this
includes but is not limited to: Book scanner, self-checkout,
Sierra, Alma, ILLiad, LibGuides, etc.
- In order to support student success, and considering the
library is sometimes the only resource on campus open, the
assistant should have strong website navigation skills to assist
students in finding the information they need.
- Provide general library orientation tours as requested.
- Collaborate with other colleagues to arrange coverage in case
of absences, whether planned or unplanned.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.REQUIREMENTS:
(Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Excellent public service skills and positive attitude are
essential - should be able to anticipate, listen to, understand and
respond to patron needs.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving
- Strong computer skills - MS Office and Google suite and other
standard office software, including chat clients required.
- Knowledge of OneSearch, e-reference, e-book central WorldCat,
Course Reserves, Kanopy.
- Must be comfortable learning new databases.
- Ability to work independently, and in a group setting.
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple activities and
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and all levels of the
campus community.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Physically able to push heavy book carts and hold up to 10
- Shelve and retrieve materials on high and low shelves,
including the ability to go up and down
- Five or more years of library experience or a Bachelors degree
- Part-Time regular workday is 5 hours per day, 25 hours per
week: Tuesday Thursday 4:00 pm 9:00 pm and Friday - Saturday 3:00
pm - 8:00 pm. Summer Session Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 1:00 pm 6:00
- Flexibility, and permanent or temporary changes in work
schedules, will be required to accommodate the Library's needs and
changes in Library hours, and staff schedules, especially during
intersessions and summer sessions.BackShare
- Apply NowAdelphi University is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer committed to building a diverse workforce and
strongly encourages applications from women, under-represented
groups, members of the LGBT community, people with disabilities and
Keywords: Adelphi University, New York , Administrative Assistant - PT, Administration, Clerical , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!