Middle School Vice Principal
Company: Coney Island Prep
Posted on: June 15, 2019
An Invitation To Apply for the Position of Middle School Vice
Principal (with Math focus) At Coney Island Preparatory Public
Charter School Brooklyn, New York About Coney Island Prep Coney
Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in
Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the
Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare
students for the college and career of their choice very seriously.
Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility
with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its
three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten - fourth
grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth - eighth
grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth
grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to
prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their
choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a
supportive and structured school community. Commitment There is no
more urgent task than to educate students from low-income
backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the
core. It's high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes
all-consuming. But we wouldn't have it any other way. And neither
would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you
reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by
the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren't afraid to ask
for help, feedback, and support. They're driven by personal
responsibility, data, and results, and they're not above doing
whatever's asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic
days, and add a little levity along the way. What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is
all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there's
always someone who's got your back from coaching you through a bad
day to helping you grow professionally. While every educational
setting is ever-changing and the day-to-day of school leadership
comes with its unique challenges, with the support of the Principal
and team of supporting leaders, you are sure to have the skills,
resources and support needed to get the job done. The Vice
Principal is responsible for supporting and developing teachers in
order to achieve exceptional student academic achievements.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep's
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest
academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the
college and career of their choice.
- Experience with math curriculum and instruction required.
- Bachelor's degree and at least six years of teaching experience
- At least two years of school leadership experience
- Proven track record of leading students to high academic
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a
willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational
skills, consistent communication, and timeliness.
- Models humility by being self reflective and open to feedback,
adjusting behavior and systems accordingly; seek out opportunities
to collaborate with others with the ambition and desire to grow
one's professional practice.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for
creativity and hard work inherent in school leadership.
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across
various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity
- Support a culture of high academic and behavioral
- Experience driving and establishing school wide systems to
maintain excellent school culture and academic results.
Responsibilities School Leadership
- Drive and support the implementation of Coney Island Prep's
vision and guiding principles to ensure a positive,
achievement-focused school culture among teachers, staff and
- Reinforce the mission of the school with staff and inspire them
to act on the mission every single day; exude urgency, excellence,
and optimism; use the mission as a litmus test for school-based
- Exercise strong decision making and prioritization skills.
- Work cohesively with leadership team members to achieve
specific outcomes of your role, while supporting others in meeting
their outcomes. Assume responsibility in ensuring the leadership
team runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Assist in the selection and performance management of academic
- Hold staff accountable for professional expectations and to
staff Six Pillars.
- Actively participate in School Leader Development meetings,
engaging in discussion, sharing best practices, and participating
fully at all times.
- Participate in regular school leadership team meetings and
weekly 1:1s with Principal. Regularly collaborate with the other
- Respond to requests and work with network staff to ensure
compliance with CIP policies and procedures. Teacher and Leader
- Manage, coach, evaluate, and develop a cohort of teachers to
ensure excellence in teaching practices through observations and
debriefs, professional development, modeling, and collaborative
planning. Hold teachers accountable for implementation of
research-based curriculum ensuring rigorous instruction that
prepares students daily for college.
- Observe lessons and provide on-going, specific, actionable,
positive and constructive feedback that ensures teachers can
improve instruction.When necessary, model outstanding instruction
- Analyze and monitor academic performance data regularly to
establish a data-driven culture. Track progress toward meeting or
exceeding student achievement goals. Through data debriefs with
teachers, ensure student performance and mastery of standards
drives instructional decisions.
- With teachers, devise and monitor high-impact support plans for
- Build and provide accountability to academic systems.
- Collaborate with Special Education Coordinator to ensure
student needs are met daily and best practices for students with
special needs are implemented daily by teachers. High-Quality
- Design and run high-quality professional development
- Work with each team member to set clear, measurable,
outcome-oriented academic goals for the year and plan professional
development opportunities around those academic goals. School
- Establish and maintain high standards for student behavior,
performance, and attendance.
- Serve as a model for effective classroom management and
effective relationship building with students, staff, and families
to impact student achievement and behavior.
- Ensure that the learning environment and classroom instruction
maximize student learning.
- Partner with Deans of Student Culture to support efforts in
character development and school culture. Curriculum and Assessment
- Research, design, and/or supplement the academic curriculum for
all subjects and grades based on successful models and
- When necessary, align academic curriculum with state standards
and other scientifically-based benchmarks. Commitment to Diversity,
Equity, and Inclusion
- Work across difference to build structures and systems to
create equitable and inclusive school environment for students,
parents, and staff. Ensure structures and practices exemplify
- Demonstrate a personal and professional value for DEI
- Develop positive relationships with community stakeholders.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous
salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will
be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and
life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with
match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the
necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Start Date Flexible (April-July 2019) Contact Information
Interested applicants should go to to apply for available jobs.
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal
opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or
familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We
want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of
all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they
feel valued and can excel.
Keywords: Coney Island Prep, New York , Middle School Vice Principal, Education / Teaching , Brooklyn, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!