Data Infrastructure Engineer
Company: Komodo Health
Location: New York
Posted on: May 16, 2022
We Breathe Life Into Data!
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of
disease. Smarter use of data is essential to this mission. We
combine the world's most comprehensive view of patient encounters
with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical expertise to
power our Healthcare Map, the industry's most precise view of the
U.S. healthcare system. With the Healthcare Map as our foundation,
we offer a suite of powerful software applications that deliver
exceptional value to the industry.
Our people are the center of our success. We are a smart,
supportive team with diverse perspectives and a shared passion for
fixing what's broken in healthcare. It's fun, challenging and
important. Join us!
The Opportunity at Komodo Health:
You will be joining the Infrastructure team. Our team is lean,
competent, and flexible. More importantly, we support and teach
each other. We own Komodo's software infrastructure, which all
applications, tools, and frameworks use to interact with public
clouds like AWS. We build, operate, and constantly improve
strategic tools that help with container orchestration,
microservice management, ETL, CI/CD, monitoring, metrics, logging,
and so on. We also manage third-party services and their
procurement. With the rapid growth and deep transformation Komodo
is undergoing, the Infrastructure team needs to re-architect and
significantly expand our cloud and data infrastructure. Join us,
and you will quickly be driving large projects and contributing to
We are a Python and AWS shop, and most of us are Python and AWS
experts. Our tech stack includes but is not limited to: Kubernetes,
Helm, Docker, Spark, Airflow, JupyterHub, Jenkins, ElasticSearch,
FastAPI, Terraform, Packer, as well as third-party services like
Snowflake, Ascend, Databricks, Great Expectations. We also heavily
use AWS core Compute, Storage, and Networking services such as EC2,
EBS, S3, Load Balancing, Autoscaling Groups, VPCs, and so on.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you
- Have led at least one strategic project (more for senior
positions) end-to-end and be the go-to person in this area at
- Have participated in multiple strategic projects using
technologies in our tech stack (mentioned above). You will be among
the few that people go to for help on these technologies
- Have helped other teams resolved major problems and earned
- Have significantly improved your problem solving, software
design, product management, and debugging skills
- Be much better in making tradeoffs and translating resource and
time constraints into design requirements
- Be comfortable with communicating with all levels of the
- Be comfortable with various open-source projects and have
perhaps merged PRs
- Be a subject matter expert in technologies that are in high
Some Of The Projects We Are Currently Working On:
- Improvements to our Kubernetes architecture to enable more
efficient allocation of nodes
- Improve the performance and ease of use of our Spark and
- Security hardening of cloud infrastructure
- Internal software systems and self-service tools to enable the
creation of secure and compliant AWS resources
- Building our centralized logging and metrics collecting
- Open-sourcing some of our tools
- CI/CD for applications and data pipelines
-We are waiting for you to define more projects!
What you bring to Komodo:
- Passion! We hope you are passionate about our mission and
- Ownership! We hope you own your work, be accountable, and push
it through the finish line. We hope you treat yourself as a
cofounder and do not hesitate to share any idea that helps
- Expertise! We do not need you to know everything, but we hope
you have deep knowledge in at least one area and can start
contributing quickly. And we would love to learn from you in your
area(s) of expertise
- Experience with AWS's core services and their relationships.
Ability to create solutions on AWS based on users' high-level
descriptions. Ability to learn new AWS technologies and use them as
- Expertise in any general programming language(s) like Python,
Java, C++, Go, Scala, and so on. Ability to solve problems and
automate common tasks with your code. Ability to pick up a new
programming language quickly and read large code bases written in a
- Experience with cloud and big-data tools and frameworks like
Spark, Airflow, Snowflake, and so on.
- Knowledge of Linux fundamentals. Comfortable working on Linux
command line (e.g. BASH) and have experience with basic Linux
commands and tools.
- Experience with using and managing Kubernetes clusters.
Experience with running services on Kubernetes. Basic knowledge of
its ecosystem, e.g., helm, minikube.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines. Knowledge of basic concepts
and their applications. Able to create Jenkins pipelines and manage
Jenkins instances. Experience with related CI/CD tools like
Harness, Travis, CircleCI, GitHub Actions.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform,
Cloudformation, and Packer.
- Ability to learn new technical concepts quickly
- Ability to operate in fast-paced and dynamic
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
Komodo Health has a hybrid work model; we recognize the power of
choice and importance of flexibility and support for the well-being
of our company. Roles may be completely remote based anywhere in
the country listed, remote but based in a specific region, or local
(commuting distance) to one of our hubs in San Francisco, New York
City, or Chicago with remote work options.
Curiosity piqued? Learn more about us!
- Komodo Health Named to Top 25 Highest-Rated Private Cloud
Computing Companies to Work For
- Komodo Health Acquires Breakaway Partners
- Komodo Health Secures $220M in Series E funding led by Tiger
- Komodo Health Acquires Mavens, Series D funding led by ICONIQ
- Wealthfront: The 2021 Career Launching Companies List
- In Conversation with Dr. Arif Nathoo, Komodo Health's
- Komodo Health's 'Meet a Dragon' series
- Komodo's Values that Drive our Culture
Keywords: Komodo Health, New York , Data Infrastructure Engineer, Engineering , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!