Lead Applications Engineer
Company: Medidata Solutions
Location: New York
Posted on: December 7, 2017
Our Industry: Where we play
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation.
We invented the Medidata Clinical Cloud-- which is the primary technology solution powering clinical trials for over 90% of the world's top global pharmaceutical and medical-device companies - from study design and planning through execution, management and reporting. We are publicly traded (MDSO), have 850 customers with retention rates at 100% and a revenue run-rate of over $500M in 2017. Our customers include global pharmaceutical companies, biotech, diagnostic and device firms, leading academic medical centers, technical partners and contract research organizations.
Medidata---s solutions have powered over 12,000 clinical trials to date giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
We know that diverse teams win and therefore we are committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with 1600 employees.
A Platform Services Engineer works with back-end web services and the protocols surrounding their use. In particular, she builds and maintains Ruby on Rails-based APIs, and helps other teams consume them in their own projects. Our goal is to build a stable, secure, and flexible platform that allows engineers to rapidly develop innovative tools to improve the clinical trial process. Along the way, we give back to the open-source community as much as possible, mainly by creating, maintaining and contributing to Ruby gems. Most people working on the platform are based in Medidata---s headquarters in Manhattan.
Since many of the APIs Platform Services is working on deal with security, the team is also frequently called upon to help design and audit security-related processes. Ad-hoc penetration-testing ability, especially ---white-box--- testing, is a useful bonus.
Our stack makes heavy use of AWS, with source control in Github and rspec/cucumber-based automated testing. We use a mix of SQL and NoSQL databases as appropriate, but we---re particular fans of PostgreSQL.
- Develop software applications and associated artifacts such as unit tests, installation programs and test automation code
- Apply good technical practices such as continuous integration, test automation, source code control and review
- Provide diagnostic support and bug fixing for software applications
- Follow Medidata---s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements
- Work with Agile team members, particularly Software Quality Assurance and Product Management, to write clear, concise and comprehensive feature files
- Participate in Agile working practices such as daily scrum meetings, sprint planning meetings, reviews and retrospectives
- Utilizes appropriate methods to solve problems in an accurate and efficient manner
- Effectively communicates technical information and processes to relevant stakeholders (e.g., cross-functional groups, clients)
- Effectively executes processes associated with the software development life cycle
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of relevant concepts, applications, and programming languages
- Attend all appropriate team meetings
- Provides estimates in backlog grooming
- Identify tasks in planning
- Contribute to scenario writing
- Actively contribute at retrospectives
- Participate in experimental changes in organizational process arising from retrospectives
- Apply simple platform design principles locally
- Extend service contracts
- Apply BDD/TDD. Apply simple patterns
- Be aware of the impact of design on performance, e.g. through algorithmic complexity, N+1 fetching, etc
- Competent in tech stack of choice
- Deliver new areas of functionality
- Create unit tests and step definitions for test automation where appropriate.
- Participate in experimental changes in implementation process arising from retrospectives
- Submit pull requests and respond appropriately
- Perform local refactoring under the guidance of senior colleagues
- Initiate automated deployment to test environments.
- Access production logs.
- Diagnose issues while dealing with initial uncertainty and incomplete information
- Identify root causes
- Create fixes with unit tests where appropriate
- Provide technical impact assessment
- Read documentation and internal blogs
- Attend team presentations
- Participate as mentee
Your Preferred Competencies:
- Ruby on Rails
- MySql, Postgres
- Ad-hoc penetration-testing
Your Education & Experience:
A position at this level typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor---s degree, or 3 years and a Master---s degree, or a PhD without experience, or equivalent work experience. Degrees in any mathematics-heavy disciplines are welcomed.
Useful expertise includes working with distributed systems, REST (including HATEOAS), graph theory, and performance optimization. Familiarity with Ruby is naturally a plus.
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
- THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
- TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
- DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
- LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
- TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Keywords: Medidata Solutions, New York, Lead Applications Engineer, Engineering, New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!