Senior Cloud Engineer
Company: Northwestern Mutual
Location: New York
Posted on: October 12, 2018
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Senior Cloud Engineer is a lead technologist who designs, develops, and evolves the cloud platform for Northwestern Mutual and its digital platforms. Our cloud platform is a cloud-native environment that is based on AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Ansible and other open source platforms. Our platform will be used to mission-critical workloads at a large scale and is currently used by 800 plus developers across 40 plus teams.
The Senior Cloud Engineer is a leader who promotes a mindset of continuous growth within the team as well as organizational culture. Apart from being a cloud stalwart with deep expertise in AWS, Kubernetes, Infra as Code, Security by Design in Code, and Operationally Resilient Systems, you will also function as a role model for your peers in good behaviors and practices including architecture, scrum, documentation, release management, and end-user training. In building these systems, you will enable our development community to be self-sufficient, agile, and be able to operate responsible consumers of the cloud.
The right candidate has the ability to work beyond common conflicts experienced to transform the organization. In DevOps, you will work through opposing goals and constraining circumstances. Combined with the technical chops, you will need to possess the drive and interpersonal skills to constantly evolve the team, the platform, and revolutionize the business.
- Architect solutions around AWS, Kubernetes, while addressing a variety of technical needs & issues including automation/self-service, security concerns around identity & access, data protection, CICD security, high availability, monitoring, scalability, self-healing, and effective cost postures
- Develop Infra as Code for AWS & Kubernetes services using Terraform, Lambda, Kubernetes native deployments, & Docker for the entire Lifecycle of application and infrastructure
- Lead the execution and development of key capabilities and projects. Examples may include IaaS automation, cost management, security auto-remediation, IAM role, and policy management
- Operate as a leader of specific team tracks to plan, execute and release feature sets
- Be a thought leader & drive innovation by scouting the market for new technologies, tools and quickly prototype to ensure that the platform is constantly evolving in its capability
- Expertise in AWS including advanced skills & experiences with account management, VPC management, IAM, network services, EC2, storage services
- Expertise with common platforms such as RDS & management tools including Cloudwatch, CloudTrail, and AWS Config
- Expertise in automating & managing the Kubernetes stack (v1.6 and above) and ecosystem of tools including network overlays, logging, and monitoring, Docker security scanning etc.
- Expertise in tools such as Docker, CoreOS, Calico, Kubernetes, Fluentd, is expected for this role
- Expertise in Infra as Code including Terraform, Python, JSON, and YAML
- Strong architecture, planning, documentation and developer engagement practices are required
- Expertise in designing continuously available cloud-native solutions with self-healing and scalable systems
- Ability to mentor, coach, and guide many team members. Project tracks may include 5-7 engineers at a time
- Expertise in core infrastructure services such as DNS, DHCP, network routing, security group/firewall management
- Expertise in analyzing performance metrics and Kubernetes capacity planning using open source tooling
Req ID: 23668
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 6-8 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 08/16/2018
Keywords: Northwestern Mutual, New York , Senior Cloud Engineer, Engineering , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!