Managing Director Food, Land & Water Program
Company: The World Business Council for Sustainable Develop
Location: New York
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Managing Director - Food, Land & Water Program The World
Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a global,
CEO-led organization of over 200 leading businesses working
together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. We
help make our member companies more successful and sustainable by
focusing on the maximum positive impact for shareholders, the
environment and societies. Our member companies come from all
business sectors and all major economies, representing combined
revenues of more than $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. Our
global network of almost 70 national business councils gives our
members unparalleled reach across the globe. WBCSD is uniquely
positioned to work with member companies along and across value
chains to deliver impactful business solutions to the most
challenging sustainability issues. Together, we are the leading
voice of business for sustainability: with a vision of a world
where more than 9 billion people are all living well and within the
boundaries of our planet, by 2050. The Food, Land & Water
(FL&W) Program brings together several projects that WBCSD is
engaging its member companies on to identify business solutions for
the transformation of the Food and Land system globally. Under
FL&W we have several projects and partnerships that, together
cover the full value-chain of the global food system. Most
- FReSH: is currently working with over 40-member companies to
develop business solutions around dietary switches, reduction of
food loss and waste, ending hunger and true cost of food. EAT is a
key partner providing multi-stakeholder access and science-based
- SCF: (Soft Commodity Forum is bringing together now 6 of the
leading commodity trading and processing companies to work on major
sustainability challenges in the food supply chain.
- CSA is bringing together some 20 companies to work on climate
and water smart agriculture solutions and testing those in various
regions around the world.
- GAA is the Global Agribusiness Alliance and currently brings
together around 20 companies working on the production/agriculture
side of the value chain looking at sustainable landscapes, small
holder challenges, water and food loss solutions.
- Beyond our own projects, WBCSD is actively engaged in the FOLU
(Food and Land-Use Coalition) as well as one of the incubators of
the Global Food Systems Dialogues (with WEF and EAT). Currently we
are working with member companies to create an overall narrative
for the Food System Transformation that will map the challenges,
targets and solutions required to transform the system and define
the role and contribution that business can play. This narrative
will be the basis for optimizing the work-plan and structure for
WBCSD's Food, Land and Water Program. We are looking for a Managing
Director Food, Land & Water Program. This is a full-time, permanent
position based at the WBCSD offices in Geneva, Switzerland,
reporting to the WBCSD President and CEO. The Managing Director
Food, Land & Water will be a member of the WBCSD SMT. The
successful candidate will lead the overall Food, Land & Water
Program, direct the (strategy and implementation on) program and
project content, working closely with member companies and partner
organizations, represent the voice of business on relevant
international fora and work within the governance structure of the
group, to develop, coordinate and advance the project through
various work-streams, to grow the membership base and ensure we
reach an ambitious level of impact. Role & Responsibilities
Managing the Program
- Develop the FL&W strategy, seek support, engagement and
approval by the Program Board, and implement the work plan and key
objectives for the next 5 years.
- Align the current project structure (FReSH, CSA, GAA, SCF, FSG
and Water) into a coherent and focused Program structure that
aligns the members interests, with key - science-based - targets
and maximises the effectiveness of available management
- Build a strong team with a mix of experts, young vibrant
talents and company secondments.
- Instil a member-value-led and science-based culture in the team
and projects within the FL&W program
- Manage the program budget and fee generation effectively.
Ensure costs are well-controlled.
- Assist various projects and work-streams to ensure impact and
timely delivery of results.
- Ensure robust and transparent governance in the running of the
- Hold the project to the highest standards of intellectual and
factual integrity and credibility.
- Own and further develop relationships with key Funders,
Partners, NGOs and International Agencies in the areas of FL&W,
Social responsibility and Ethical Performance.
- Develop relationships with the key FL&W related other
- Coordinate with the four other strategic programs of the WBCSD
to identify and benefit from synergies with other projects.
Building the network
- The Managing Director of WBCSD FLW Program will be the face and
external representative of this critically important Program for
WBCSD. The ambition should be to establish WBCSD as the "center of
gravity" for business solutions in the transformation that the
global Food and Land-use system will be go through in the next
- The MD FL&W will:
- Actively lead the acquisition of new members for WBCSD in the
FL&W Program by attracting and recruiting new members from
select geographies or sectors, as agreed with member companies, to
create an optimally diverse mix of companies across the value
chains in the Food and Land-use Systems.
- Work with company CEOs, including program board co-chairs,
other senior executives and technical experts, to deliver planned
results and maximise company commitment and engagement.
- Establish and collaborate with partnerships involving e.g.
academic or other institutions and non-governmental or
- Recruit and manage consultants or service providers, be it
academic or other.
- Identify key NGO and government contacts and approaches
(regional, national or international level) to drive advocacy
effectiveness. Compelling communications
- Develop and implement a world-class communications strategy for
the project, working closely with member companies and their
communications teams, while maximising the WBCSD track record and
communications infrastructure to:
- Develop and position compelling messages throughout the
- Identify and influence key audiences.
- Contribute in building trust between business and the various
FL&W system stakeholders.
- Select the key conferences/events to present the FL&W
program and projects
- Convincingly represent the WBCSD and the project to relevant
global audiences, with conviction and polish, including media
activities, stakeholder and other key events. The Dream Profile The
ideal candidate will have significant senior executive level
industrial experience, coupled with successful track record of NGO
and government interaction and a deep understanding of the
challenges and opportunities for the Food, Land & Water system. The
candidate will also:
- Be a leader that can contribute to the successful management of
WBCSD in their capacity as member of the SMT.
- Be a confident leader representing WBCSD externally to the most
senior of audiences.
- Demonstrate superb project management / organizational skills
to structure a multi-year program with accountability for meeting
budget and schedule commitments while pragmatically delivering real
- Have a strong capacity for systems thinking and eliciting
innovative, holistic solutions, including sensitivity to the
implications and possibilities of new technologies.
- Be culturally and emotionally at ease working with a wide
spectrum of people and nationalities from CEO level to technical
experts, governments and other stakeholders.
- Bring and convey inspiration, passion and drive to attract and
motivate additional companies, organizations and individuals to the
project to meet common but demanding goals.
- Show diplomacy and sensitivity to different opinions and
approaches, managing a range of views and interests with first
class negotiating and facilitation skills (including humour,
kindness and courtesy).
- Be fluent and highly articulate in English (written and
spoken), with other language skills warmly welcome.
- Possess manifest personal and intellectual credibility and
integrity. The position is full-time and based in Geneva,
Switzerland, but will also require international travel. The WBCSD
is a purpose driven, forward-thinking, and action-oriented
organization, characterised by diversity of gender, nationalities,
and work experiences. The Work Environment: WBCSD offers a
competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with offices in New Delhi, London and
New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State of the art facilities and ICT enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and
- International relocation support
- Sustainable commuting incentives
- Annual community service Please also note that the WBCSD will
only respond to candidates selected for the interview process
Keywords: The World Business Council for Sustainable Develop, New York , Managing Director Food, Land & Water Program, Executive , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!