Associate Director, Information Governance (Operations)
Company: Kirkland & Ellis
Location: New York
Posted on: September 26, 2022
Associate Director, Information Governance (Operations) At
Kirkland & Ellis, we are united in our ambition and drive to move
forward. We share core values that help us achieve excellence:
collaboration, talent empowerment, service, inclusion, respect and
gratitude. Our people are our greatest asset, and we invest in the
brightest talent and encourage a diversity of perspectives and
strengths to create dynamic teams that operate at the pinnacle of
their field. Our talented professionals show up every day knowing
they will engage in meaningful work, continuous learning and
professional development. As one of the world's leading law firms,
we serve a broad range of clients with market-leading practices in
private equity, M&A and other complex corporate transactions;
investment fund formation and management; restructurings;
high-stakes litigation and trials; and government, regulatory and
internal investigations. We handle the most complicated and
sophisticated legal matters because we don't just meet industry
standards, we create them. We bring innovation and
entrepreneurialism to every engagement and, as a result, have
long-standing client relationships with leading global corporations
and financial sponsors. With 6,500 employees (including 3,000+
lawyers) operating from 18 offices across the United States, Europe
and Asia, -we are one of the largest law firms in the world and a
top financial performer. Essential Job Functions The Associate
Director, Information Governance (IG) Operations plans, leads and
executes IG operational processes and IG support services in all
offices. As an information governance subject matter expert and
seasoned personnel and project manager, the individual in this
position drives results and achieves a measurable reduction of
costs and risks associated with IG Operations. This role
effectively coaches and empowers IG Operations team members to
improve their critical thinking and decision making abilities,
particularly as they relate to special circumstances that arise in
the course of delivering operational support services, and ensures
resources are appropriately assigned and meet the business demands
of the firm. Essential Job Functions: IG Operations Leadership
- Ensure all IG Ops teams create and maintain records appropriate
to the administration of IG core processes and projects.
- Facilitate creation of workflow and process documentation for
all IG Operations processes, and presents final work product for
Risk Management leadership approval.
- Coach and mentor IG personnel on the continual improvement of
their technology skills, information governance subject matter
skills, and communication skills.
- Provide backup coverage for IG leadership team members. Process
Automation Project Management
- Liaise with Risk Management Systems team and Associate
Director, IG Process Transformation to design, improve and/or
redesign IG Operations processes
- Lead cross-functional and/or cross-office IG projects.
- Drafts, reviews and/or presents project plans, status reports,
and other information in a variety of formats and styles
appropriate to the audience. Client File Releases
- Direct matter mobility team in all aspects of file
- Ensure files are released in a timely manner and in accordance
with client requests.
- Correspond with clients, partners and other law firms regarding
file release requests.
- Appropriately escalate file release issues for senior
- Drive the introduction of new technologies to reduce
administrative overhead of attorneys and other legal staff involved
in client file releases and automate file review.
- Drive process innovation by promoting new ideas and piloting
innovative and risk-based approaches to client file collection,
review and release.
- Leads collaborative efforts with other law firms to standardize
the transfer of client data and files. Client File and Data Intake
- Correspond with lateral hires regarding the firm's client file
intake policy and procedures.
- Liaise with IT to import incoming files into firm approved
repositories following IG review and approval.
- Correspond with partners, legal recruiting personnel, and other
law firms regarding the secure delivery of files, and any special
requirements impacting the transfer, review and/or security of
incoming files and/or data.
- Ensure IG Operations team review and import files of lateral
hires in a timely manner and IG Operations team priorities align
with the priorities communicated by the lateral hire. Departing
- Lead IG Operations team in all aspects of departing
- Advise departing attorneys re the transfer and/or preservation
of data and files and matter roles.
- Liaise with IG Data Protection team regarding system and
process controls in place for departing personnel. Records and Data
Storage and Disposition - Legal and Administrative Records
- Eliminate offsite records storage, and advise office leads on
the effective management of office file storage space.
- Work with administrative department functional leads and
records liaisons to document business requirements, develop records
retention schedules and
- Automate and recommend system enhancements relating to the
records retention review process.
- Lead and review legal research to determine records retention
requirements. Analyzes records retention and disposition
recommendations from various legal and professional sources.
- Lead the assessment of new and existing firm approved records
- Manage offsite records storage vendor contract and service
delivery in the Chicago office.
- Direct legacy data analysis, classification and disposition
projects. IG Operations Education and Consultation
- Ensure new hire attorneys and staff receive Information
Governance orientation and understand firm policies relating to
- Oversee the development and maintenance of Information
Governance Operations content on SharePoint sites.
- Consult and advise all personnel on their responsibilities
relating to risk management, information governance, and records
- Provides leadership and direction on the use of Information
- Communicates the IG vision and IG guiding principles in a
variety of forums (1:1, administrative meetings, practice group
meetings, and partner meetings).
- Provides advice and proposes solutions for complex and/or
technical information governance and/or information technology
issues. Secure Destruction of Paper and Electronic Media
- Plan, implement and manage the delivery of shred and media
destruction services in all offices.
- Oversee the delivery of secure paper and media destruction
services in all offices and remote work locations. Other
- Drafts and maintains Risk Management policies relating to
Information Governance. Qualifications & Requirements Candidates
with an educational background from a wide variety of disciplines
including information technology, legal, compliance, information
management, and/or records management will be considered. A minimum
of 7 years experience managing an Information Governance function
or professional services team is required, and an advanced degree
in information management, computer science or law is preferred.
Advanced aptitude and interest in information technologies,
critical thinking, innovation, change management and project
management is a must. Working knowledge of iManage WorkSite and
LegalKEY a plus. Proficiency in MS Office applications required.
How to Apply Thank you for your interest in Kirkland & Ellis LLP.
To complete an application and submit your resume, please click
"Apply Now." All employment decisions, including the recruiting,
hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation,
evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if
necessary) are made without regard to the employee's race, color,
creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance,
family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender
identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of
residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital
status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from
military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other
basis prohibited by applicable law. Closing Statement The
www.kirkland.com job postings and recruiting mailbox are for
candidates only. If you are a recruiter, search firm or employment
agency, and do not have a signed contract with Kirkland & Ellis LLP
("K&E") and have not been asked specifically to submit
candidates, you will not be compensated in any way for your
referral of a candidate even if K&E hires the candidate. Direct
contact with K&E employees in an attempt to present candidates
is inappropriate and will be a factor in determining any future
professional relationship with the Firm. #LI-Hybrid
Keywords: Kirkland & Ellis, New York , Associate Director, Information Governance (Operations), Executive , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!