Director, Marketing and Communications
Company: Columbia University
Location: New York
Posted on: September 25, 2022
Develop and oversee department wide marketing and communication
architecture to ensure that all print and digital communications
conform to brand identify, support established business objectives,
and maximize positive exposure. This role manages a team of four
professionals and maintains active relationships with institutional
marketing and communications teams at New York-Presbyterian and
Columbia University Irving Medical Center. Responsibilities
- Develop and administer marketing communications architecture to
streamline and centralize all content development and distribution
in support of departmental marketing and communications initiatives
across all channels: print, digital, web.
- Execute production of marketing materials utilizing appropriate
internal resources, and oversee management and contracting of any
external resources required to achieve project goals.
- Develop strong understanding of brand identity and work to
maintain brand integrity throughout all internal and external
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with FPO, CUIMC, and
NYP marketing communications teams to ensure that all available
institutional resources are leveraged effectively in support of
- Provide consultative services within the department to support
emergent marketing and communications projects as directed by
- Assist department leadership in identifying opportunities to
improve internal and external marketing communications, and
recommend action steps to improve outcomes.
- Perform additional responsibilities, as assigned by department
- Develops, designs and implements marketing and communication
initiatives in support of identified business goals, academic
initiatives, and strategic priorities. Monitors the impact of
marketing efforts, and develop metrics for gauging the efficacy of
marketing initiatives. Collects input from key stakeholders and
department leadership. Identifies and defines engagement activities
of key stakeholders and influences.
- Serves as the marketing subject matter expert on projects and
engages stakeholders accordingly. Effectively manages project teams
by using tracking/reporting tools. Determines, monitor and manage
key unit metrics, including performance indicators, staff
productivity, and patient satisfaction. Provides monthly and ad-hoc
progress reports and dashboard.
- Collaborates with senior leadership and stakeholders to create
and implement change management and communication strategies that
support organizational goals and process improvement initiatives.
Maximize employee adoption and measure effectiveness. Ensure
communication of changes is cascaded throughout unit and feedback
channels are in place. Ensures staff support system is in place.
Works with senior leadership to address any escalated concerns and
identified risks as needed.Finance
- Prepares and submits annual budgets as needed. Prepares cost
analysis for marketing campaigns and related initiatives.
Determines cost efficiencies and effective use of resources
including outsource requirements and guidelines.
- Manages relationships with vendors and other service providers.
Ensures compliance with CUIMC related policies and guidelines.
Ensures Service Level Agreements are fully adhered to and
satisfied. Makes recommendations for service improvements and/or
- Leads the HR strategy for team. In collaboration with the
Department Administrator, and in consultation with central HR,
develops and implements talent management strategies to support a
high performance team. Ensures that talent management strategies
are aligned with organizational performance goals and that support
systems are in place for managers and staff. Leads and guides
management team to execute approved strategies, monitor
effectiveness and mitigate barriers as needed.
- Leads HR activities for team (e.g. performance reviews, staff
changes, corrective actions, etc.) Ensures that managers complete
related transactions and activities for the department in a timely
manner and in accordance with central HR guidelines.
- Promotes staff professionalism and performance with coaching,
training and feedback. Mentors management team in individual and
team accountability, modeling behavior and demonstrating best
practices/techniques. Demonstrates self-development and keeps
current on a variety of work relevant topics and industry
- Ensures compliance with Columbia's and departmental policies
and procedures with Human Resources.Other
- Keeps current on all organizational, regulatory compliance and
patient privacy trainings policies (e.g. infection control, public
safety, EH&S, HIPAA, OSHA, etc.) and successfully complete all
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality according to HIPAA
requirements at all times.
- Ensure that Medical Center and Department policies and
procedures are followed. Minimum Qualifications Minimum
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, business or
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise overseeing the design and
execution of integrated print and digital marketing communications
- Experience managing collaborative teams to meet production
deadlines and execute marketing campaigns. Ability to lead and
mentor team through new and changing situations.
- Comfortable exercising a wide degree of latitude on creative
projects and working in a flexible environment.
- Strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop,
Illustrator, and InDesign).
- Strong aesthetic sensibility and creative direction for digital
and print media.
- Familiarity and skill with fundamentals of web design and
architecture, email marketing, social media, and CMS administration
(Drupal, or similar).
- Demonstrated strong proficiency in project management skills
including planning and executing technical and operational project
activities with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated intermediate or higher proficiency and/or
understanding of data sets; extract, evaluate, clean, and
summarize; conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis and
validation as applicable to areas of responsibility.
- Candidate must be well organized and be able to manage a
demanding workload and moderately complex cases in an accurate and
- Demonstrated advanced skills in problem assessment, and
resolution and collaborative problem solving in complex, and
interdisciplinary settings including a strong understanding of
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written
form. This position requires the ability to interact positively,
constructively and effectively with patients, professional staff,
providers and organizational stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and follow-through and handle
multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a culturally diverse staff
and patient/family population demonstrating tact and sensitivity in
- Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) or
similar software is required and an ability and willingness to
learn new systems and programs.
- Must be a motivated individual with a positive mindset and
exceptional work ethic.
- Must successfully complete systems training requirements.
- Master's degree is preferred.Equal Opportunity Employer /
Disability / VeteranColumbia University is committed to the hiring
of qualified local residents.
Keywords: Columbia University, New York , Director, Marketing and Communications, Executive , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!