Director of Admission, College of Performing Arts
Company: The New School
Location: New York
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Responsibilities: The New School seeks a proven, dynamic, and
forward-thinking professional for the position of Director of
Admission for The College of Performing Arts ( COPA ). Reporting to
the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment, the Director will
provide leadership, direction, and implementation for a
comprehensive enrollment strategy for Mannes School of Music, the
School of Drama, and the School of Jazz that is continually
evolving, assessed and refined, to remain consistent with the goals
and mission of the University and Enrollment Management and
Strategic Partnerships ( EMSP ). The Director will work
collaboratively with EMSP Leadership, College Deans and Deans
Council, key faculty, admission committees and other members of the
Universitys leadership team and staff in meeting enrollment goals,
and in advancing the academic quality and diversity of the
universitys student body. The Director will provide leadership and
mentorship to a staff of counselors and peers, overseeing
operations and strategy across staff training and management,
application flow, in-person and virtual auditions, and recruitment
and yield events. The primary objective of this position is to
identify and recruit best fit students interested in pursuing study
in the performing arts at the professional, graduate, and
undergraduate level in an urban, collaborative environment, while
providing leadership and mentorship to a staff of counselors and
peers.We are looking for a poised, motivated, and organized
individual, with experience in the performing arts, to help us
guide the College of Performing Arts into a bold new era of
recruiting, retaining, and educating 21st-century artists. A strong
customer service orientation, superior communication and
presentation skills, and a demonstrated ability to build and
maintain strong relationships with staff, faculty, and the New York
City music and theater community are required.The New School is
strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and
particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented
groups, as well as candidates who share this
- Serve prospective and incoming students by connecting their
career and artistic aspirations with the unique value proposition
of The New School.
- Facilitate the establishment of annual recruitment goals for
The New Schools performing arts programs, overseeing the
development and documentation and execution of the admission rubric
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruitment/outreach
strategy for Mannes School of Music, the School of Jazz and
Contemporary Music, and the School of Drama that integrates with
the Universitys overall recruitment plan.
- Plan and execute an extensive on-and-off campus audition
schedule for applicants to Mannes, Jazz and Drama programs.
- Engage stakeholders within and across the university to develop
and execute school specific enrollment and financial aid strategies
to ensure meeting budget and headcount goals.
- Analyze historic data and current trends to provide data-driven
rationale for strategies. Measure and report ROI on
- Maintain operational calendar that allocates staff
appropriately for a high-volume office and that ensures good
customer service, including the coordination of on campus events
and daily campus visitation programs for CoPA admission in concert
with the Enrollment Services team.
- Oversee hiring, training, supervision of direct reports.
Provide mentorship, identify training opportunities, professional
development, and areas of concentration to develop junior
- Manage admission budget and monitor expenditures to ensure
fiscal responsibility and adherence to university policy.
- Represent The New Schools suite of programs in a full range of
recruitment activities and special events, both on- and off-campus.
Research and recommend a schedule appropriate to the territory and
pool of applicants. Plan and develop new activities and events as
- Build relationships with external constituents at performing
arts schools and centers, secondary schools, colleges, CBOs and
independent counseling centers, and music and theater venues across
New York City. Develop and maintain partnerships with organizations
identified as strategic to The New School and the College of
- Partner with other university leaders representing the division
in university-wide planning and policy decisions. Serve as the
primary link to faculty and administrative offices on matters of
admission policy and procedures for the College of Performing Arts.
Responsible for dissemination of information, implementation of
strategy, and reporting on progress and outcomes.
- In collaboration with Operations and Systems, define the
application process and ensure the application build collects the
legal and appropriate data to analyze and process applications.
Ensure that the business processes in the coding of the CRM align
with TNS policy and provide a smooth application process for
applicants and create processes that align the CRM systems to the
application process and ultimately lead to a smooth handoff of data
to the Registrars Office and Institutional Research team.
- Consult with The New Schools Office of Marketing and
Communication to develop and schedule all CoPA admissions
publications and visibility campaigns.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.Salary Range: $90,000
$95,000Workmode: Hybrid/RemoteMinimum Qualifications: MINIMUM
- Bachelors Degree required; a graduate degree preferred.
- A strong knowledge of and love for the performing arts.
- A strong knowledge of higher education admission/recruitment
policies and practices.
- Significant, progressively responsible management experience in
college admission (5-8 years) and a commitment to collaborative
- Proven, successful track record in achieving college admission
- Proven record of building and managing a professional team in a
fast paced environment.
- Outstanding public relations and communications skills.
- Ability to relate well to artist/practitioner faculty.
- Drivers license and valid passport required.
- Possess knowledge of admission information technology,
including prospect management, student information systems, and
report generation tools.
- Ability to adhere to University COVID -19 policy and
requirements.Preferred Qualifications: PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong preference for candidates who are familiar with peer
institutions and market position within the performing arts higher
- Experience in the music/drama and/or a performing arts
educational setting is highly desired.
- Prior experience working with international populations is
Keywords: The New School, New York , Director of Admission, College of Performing Arts, Executive , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!