Scientific Communications Manager, SFARI.org
Company: WTS International
Location: New York
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Scientific Communications Manager, SFARI.org Simons Foundation
Details Posted: 03-Oct-22Location: New York, New YorkType: Full
TimePreferred Education: MastersYears of Experience: 2 - 4
Preferred Education: Masters Launched in 2006, SFARI is a
scientific initiative within the Simons Foundation's suite of
programs. SFARI's mission is to improve the understanding,
diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorders by funding
innovative research of the highest quality and relevance.
SFARI is seeking a scientific communications manager who will be
responsible for developing and managing all content on SFARI's
website (SFARI.org), as well as that of some related SFARI programs
such as AutismBrainNet.org, to meet audience and stakeholder needs.
The scientific communications manager will report directly to the
editor-in-chief of SimonsFoundation.org, while working closely with
members of the SFARI science team and leadership.
It is expected that the successful candidate will have a strong
background in the life sciences - particularly neuroscience,
genetics, developmental biology and/or other fields related to
autism science - and be very familiar with the scientific and
clinical research landscape. They will work with SFARI science team
members and stakeholders to manage the creation and development of
web content that reflects the mission and goals of the
This is a full-time position based at the Simons Foundation's New
York City offices. This position does not involve journalistic work
for Spectrum , which is supported by the Simons Foundation but is
- Oversee the writing, editing, organization and maintenance of
SFARI.org's content related to SFARI resources and cohorts,
grantees, publications, projects and funding opportunities.
- Identify new content for SFARI news, meeting and workshop
reports, Q&As and other avenues as needed.
- Manage an editorial associate and manage the work of freelance
writers, editors and copyeditors, commissioning, editing and
publishing this content.
- Oversee the production of SFARI's monthly newsletter.
- Work closely with the SFARI grants team to review and publish
requests for application (RFAs) and related grant materials.
- Select suitable and brand-consistent images and artwork to
accompany website content, newsletter and social media, and work
with the foundation's communications team to organize and archive
- Build and maintain an editorial calendar for SFARI.org.
- Work closely with the foundation's editor-in-chief and web
development team to guide and prioritize SFARI.org improvements and
fixes, coordinate requests from program leaders and oversee the
implementation of those requests.
- Work closely with SFARI's science team, as well as the
foundation's events team, to prepare collateral for internal
meetings, such as program books and slides.
- Manage SFARI's social media accounts.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Master's degree in neuroscience, genetics, developmental
biology and/or autism science or a related field. An advanced
degree (Ph.D. or M.D.) is strongly preferred.Experience
- Three to five years of employment experience in scientific or
- A deep understanding of the scientific and clinical research
process, including familiarity with academia, scientific publishing
and/or scientific research institutions.
- Ability to tailor scientific content to different audiences who
may have varying degrees of expertise and knowledge.
- Experience with Google Analytics and an understanding of how
analytics tools can help to drive content development.
- Previous experience building and managing teams a plus.
- Familiarity with website content management systems, such as
WordPress, and experience managing social media a plus.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must be fastidiously attentive to detail and committed to
accuracy for a discerning scientific audience.
- Must be very well organized, able to multitask and to field
simultaneous requests from various SFARI team members, with
rigorous attention to clear and timely communication.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with editorial, technical
and leadership teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
demonstrating command of the highest standards of written and
- Flexibility to assist with other projects for the foundation as
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a resume and cover letter stating your interest
in the position.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix
of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to
cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation
actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates
of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability,
veteran status, or any other protected category under federal,
state and local law.
Keywords: WTS International, New York , Scientific Communications Manager, SFARI.org, Executive , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!