Licensed Social Worker
Company: Visiting Nurse Service of New York
Posted on: January 17, 2020
The Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) is the nation's
largest not-for-profit home- and community-based health care
organization, serving the five boroughs of New York City, and
Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties. For 125 years, VNSNY has
been committed to meeting the health care needs of New Yorkers with
compassionate, high-quality home health care. We offer a wide range
of services, programs, and health plans to meet the diverse needs
of our patients, members, and clients from before birth to the end
of life. Each day, more than 13,000 VNSNY employees - including
nurses, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, other allied
professionals, and paraprofessionals - deliver compassionate care,
unparalleled medical expertise, and 24/7 solutions and resources to
more than 48,000 patients and members, helping them to live the
best lives possible in their homes and communities.
* Assesses clients and/or family psychosocial status, social work
needs and living conditions utilizing professional knowledge,
skills of observations and interviewing skills.
* Establishes the social work component of the client/family plan
of care based on goals mutually acceptable to the client, family
and significant others. Makes referrals to other community
services, as necessary.
* Travels to patients homes and/or other facilities with varying
environments (e.g., elevated buildings, walk-ups, care facilities,
single/multiple family homes, presence of pets, etc.) using
approved transportation options to deliver direct service to the
* May respond to emergent psychosocial needs of patient and
families as requested.
* Provides psychosocial work services to client and/or family,
including short-term individual counseling, community resource
planning, and crisis intervention.
* Provides advocacy to client and/or family, e.g., assistance in
obtaining entitlements and community services.
* Provides social work services in accordance with Agency policies,
practices, procedures and Standards of Social Work Practice, which
may require standing, stooping, sitting, crouching, bending and
stretching to deliver patient care, as needed.
* Initiates and maintains verbal and written communication
according to VNSNY Home Care policy, including the preparation of
clinical and progress notes, to ensure optimal quality client
* Manages social work planning for a caseload of clients prescribed
by the physician and other team members from assessment to
discharge. Maintains productivity sufficient to meet program
* Assists the physician and other team members in understanding the
significant social and emotional factors related to the clients
* Participates in the development of treatment plans and revises
the goals as needed. Coordinates approaches to client and/or family
care in with other team members.
* Consults with and educates the client and family regarding the
treatment plan, self-care techniques and prevention strategies.
* Utilizes appropriate community resources and serves as a liaison
between the Agency and other community agencies.
* Participates in discharge planning.
* Assumes responsibility for continued professional growth, such as
* Transports and utilizes VNSNY designated/supplied carrying case
weighing up to 30 lbs. (as needed) to and from patient homes/care
facilities, VNSNY offices and other locations.
* Acts as a resource to Agency staff.
* Provides on-call coverage, as needed.
* Participates in special projects and other related duties, as
LICENSURE: Current registration to practice as a Licensed social
worker in New York State required. Valid driver's license or NYS
Non-Driver photo ID card, may be required as determined by
EDUCATION: Master's degree in Social Work after successfully
completing a prescribed course of study at a graduate school of
Social Work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and
the Education Dept. and who is certified or licensed by the
Education Dept to practice Social Work in New York State
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year social work experience in a health
care setting required. Bilingual skills may be required, as
determined by operational needs.
Visiting Nurse Service Of New York.
VNSNY is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
Keywords: Visiting Nurse Service of New York, New York , Licensed Social Worker, Healthcare , Brooklyn, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!