Company: St. Mary's Kids
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Job Description Respiratory Therapist delivers quality
respiratory care to pediatric residents ranging in age from newborn
to young adult. Plans, implements and evaluates a respiratory plan
of care to meet the individual requirements of each resident in
collaboration with the interdisciplinary care plan team. Supports
the Hospital's mission to provide the highest quality care by
complying with regulatory guidelines, meeting facility standards,
and maintaining appropriate certification.
This is a Union represented position with 1199.
JOB DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plans, implements and evaluates a respiratory plan of care to
meet the individual requirements of each resident in collaboration
with the interdisciplinary care team.
2. Completes resident assessments for breath sounds, SpO2 according
to facility policy and physician orders.
3. Provides treatment, evaluation, monitoring and management of
breathing disorders and cardiovascular problems; administers
oxygen, pulmonary toileting, administers medications, monitors
pulmonary systems and measures lung function as needed/ordered.
4. Determines requirements for treatment, such as type, method and
duration of therapy, precautions, medication and dosages,
compatible with physician's orders.
5. Monitors resident's physiological responses to therapy, such as
vital signs, pulmonary function, and consults with physician when
6. Provides critical airway management during a Code Blue or
Medical Assist including positive pressure ventilation via bag and
mask as required. Performs CPR according to PALS/ACLS
7. Provides ventilator management and assists with bedside weaning
assessment and trials.
8. Inspects, cleans, tests and maintains respiratory therapy
equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and
efficiently, ordering repairs when necessary, according to facility
9. Provides tracheotomy care (routine/emergency trach changes) of
trached residents according to facility policy.
10. Participates in therapist driven protocols for weaning of
residents from ventilators.
11. Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to manage resident
12. Communicates with staff regarding changes in patient
13. Monitors and records patient responses to treatment in the
14. Serves as a clinical resource for nursing staff, residents,
families and other staff members.
15. Participates in Comprehensive Care Plan Meetings.
16. Educates residents and their families about their conditions
and teach appropriate disease management techniques, such as
breathing exercises and the use of medications and respiratory
17. Participates actively in department's quality improvement
18. Any additional duties in relation to job title based on
Formal education required:
Graduation from high school, or the equivalent; and
Completion of a certificate program, associate or higher degree
program, in respiratory therapy.
Must be credentialed by the National Board for Respiratory Care as
a Registered Respiratory Therapist and hold a current license by
the New York State Education Department as a Respiratory
PALS, ACLS and BLS certifications are required or must be obtained
within 6 months of hire. Certifications must be maintained and
renewed prior to the end of the month in which it expires
Previous experience required:
Three years experience in an acute or long term care setting
Experience working with the neonatal and pediatric population
Keywords: St. Mary's Kids, New York , Respiratory Therapist, Healthcare , Bayside, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!