Senior Nursing Attendant - Emergency Dept. (Evenings)
Company: NYU Langone Health
Posted on: September 25, 2022
NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn is a full-service teaching
hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park,
Brooklyn. The hospital is central to a comprehensive network of
affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU
Langone Health's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery
in the entire borough. Learn more about , and interact with us on ,
, , , , and .Position Summary:We have an exciting opportunity to
join our team as a Senior Nursing Attendant - Emergency Dept.
(Evenings). In this role, the successful candidate Assists in
implementation of the nursing process by performing direct and
indirect patient care to assigned patients under the supervision of
the Registered Professional Nurse. Assists in maintaining an
orderly and safe patient care environment and unit. Performs EKG
glucometer testing and phlebotomy.Job Responsibilities:
- Assemble O2 and suction set-ups
- Assists with Admission/Transfer/Discharge of patients:Orients
patient to hospital environment as outlined in the Patient
Assessment Database. Provides patient with toileting
supplies.Assists patient to remove clothes, complete property check
list and safeguard personal property through Security. Assists in
transfer of patients by gathering belongings, completion of
clothing list and assisting in moving the patient. Prepares bedside
unit to receive patients. Discharges: Assists patient to dress and
pack personal belongingsEscorts patient as necessary and remains
with the patient until he/she has left the building.
- Conducts patient rounds minimally every two hours for
toileting, positioning, comfort, safety and personal needs. Answers
patient call lights and responds to patient needs promptly.
- Provides basic hygiene to patients: bathing, PM care, mouth
care, denture care, hair care, nail and foot care, shaving, assists
patients with bedpan, urinal and/or commode.
- Prepares patients for meals including: Clearing overbed tables
and placing them within reach of the patient. Positioning patient
correctly for eating/tube feedings. Assisting patients by preparing
utensils and food items. Feeding patients. Observes that tube
feedings are dripping and notifies RN when feeding bags are near
- Performs and/or assist patient with simple treatments: Sitz
bath. Binder application. Remove and reapply SCD wraps. Ace bandage
application. Soaks to limbs. Simple dressing changes (normal
saline). Pressure ulcer care (normal saline, hydrocolloid dsg.)
Colostomy care on established colostomy patients. Application of
ointments and creams including medicated topicals as directed by
- Performs enema procedures: Fleets phosphosoda enema, oil
retention enema, soaps suds enema, tap water enema, Harris
- Collects urine, stool and sputum specimens as directed by
- Informs RN of any audible clinical alarms such as IV pumps,
feeding pumps, ventilators, bedside monitors
- Assists with removal and security of patient personal items as
indicated on pre-op check list.
- Assists with assembling traction apparatus.
- Assists with moving, lifting, positioning and transporting of
- Changes linen in accordance with policy and as necessary.
- Takes and electronically records blood pressure, temperature,
pulse, and respiration, at least twice a day and as directed by the
RN. Reports temperature evaluations above 99 degrees Fahrenheit and
below 97 degrees Fahrenheit to RN.
- Weighs patients and electronically records on admission, weekly
and as directed by RN.
- Measures and records oral intake, urinary output, bowel
elimination, gastric and other drainage onto I&O record (form
or electronic). Calculates 8 hour totals. Empties drainage
- Performs and documents safety observations for patients on
continuous observation or in restraints, per policy and as
- Performs control testing and records urine dipstick results per
- Reports any changes observed in the patients condition to the
- Responds to and meets patient/family needs and customer
concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding.
Established effective, caring relationships with staff, patients,
family and other members of the health care team.
- Performs post mortem care.
- Attends staff meetings and reviews/signs minutes of meetings
- Maintains competence through inservice and educational
- Maintains a safe and uncluttered environment of care in patient
rooms including removing excessive furniture, supplies and
equipment. Assists with supply and equipment management of patient,
procedure and supply rooms per department standards.
- Maintains cleanliness of utility rooms and pantries as
- Performs other duties such as errands, relieving other units,
bringing stretchers and assisting other members of the health team,
- Performs other duties as aligned with the mission and values of
- Measure and record blood sugar using the glucose meter
- Performs EKG and applies cardiac leads.
- Performs venous phlebotomy.
- Discontinues Foley catheters.
- Observes IV sites for infiltration. Secures catheters. Removes
peripheral IV catheters as directed by RN.
- Administers NG, gastrostomy and jejunostomy feeds, including
verifying feeding rates, changing bags, check for residuals,
establishing patency and placement of feeding tube prior to feeding
and recognizing and reporting deviation from normal.
- Prepares patient and assists physician with procedures such as
spinal tap, paracentesis, thoracentesis, bone marrow and other
specialized procedures and treatments.
- Provides patient care to respiratory patients as determined by
the protocols of specific units: Tracheostomy care, tracheal
suctioning, oral suctioning, endotracheal tube suctioning and pulse
oximetry readings.Minimum Qualifications:To qualify you must have a
High School Diploma Required. 1+ years relevant experience. Strong
customer service and communication skills.Qualified candidates must
be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the
organization.NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn provides its staff
with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an
institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel
good about devoting your time and your talents.NYU Langone
Hospital-Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of
recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged
to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race,
color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual
orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin,
age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or
parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any
other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an
employment decision. We require applications to be completed
online.If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital- Brooklyn's EEO
policies, please . Please to view the Federal "EEO is the law"
poster or visit for more information. To view the Pay Transparency
Notice, please .
Keywords: NYU Langone Health, New York , Senior Nursing Attendant - Emergency Dept. (Evenings), Healthcare , Brooklyn, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!