Mental Health Worker
Company: Northwell Health
Location: Glen Oaks
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Under direction and supervision of Registered Nurse, assists
patients with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's) and behavioral
coping skills, provides clinical intervention, and assists in
maintenance of a safe and clean environment.
- * Performs a variety of duties directly related to patient
- Initiates and encourages interactions with patients through
conversation, activities, and other means.Encourages a therapeutic
relationship with patients.
- Orients patient to unit and hospital.Provides factual
information regarding treatment program.
- Assists and guides patients carrying-out personal hygiene and
- Assists and oversees patients at meal times.
- Escorts patients to appointments and scheduled activities off
unit - within and outside hospital.
- Assists during admissions, discharges and/or transfers of
- Assists RN in carrying out treatment procedures including, but
not limited to restraining patient, vital signs and other directed
- Responds to medical and psychiatric emergencies with direction
from RN.Administers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), when
- Observes patient, as directed.
- Assumes responsibility for whereabouts and safety of patients
on and off the unit and/or grounds, as directed.
- Co-leads group therapy and leads patient education and activity
groups, as required.
- * Performs various reporting and recording duties including,
but not limited to:
- Reporting observations of patient behavior to RN and other team
- Maintaining observation flow sheets for patient requiring
various levels of supervision, i.e constant observation, routine
rounds, every fifteen minute checks.
- Participating in nursing staff and team meetings by sharing
observations and information.
- Receiving and/or transmitting telephone messages concerning
patient care in absence of Unit Receptionist.
- Reporting observations of patients' interactions with
- * Performs a variety of duties related to maintenance of
physical environment including, but not limited to:
- Reporting potential hazards to RN and taking necessary measures
such as mopping wet areas, removing hazardous material or other
remedial action in the event of an emergency.
- Transporting supplies such as laboratory specimens, food trays,
drug baskets and other items to and from unit, as
- Collecting soiled linen and distributing fresh linen to
patients unable to do so themselves.
- Maintaining general sanitary conditions on unit including
washing patient's refrigerator and stove when necessary.
- * Accesses medication delivery and/or medication areas, as
authorized, in the performance of required duties, as
- Performs related duties, as required
*ADA Essential Functions
Minimum of two (2) years of college, required. Concentration in
pre-health science or psychology-related courses, preferred.
Minimum of six (6) years related experience, required.
Previous experience with patient intervention in psychiatric
Must be able to demonstrate CPR technique within orientation
Ability to lift, turn, position, and restrain patients, as
- Ability to communicate effectively, required.
*Additional Salary Detail
The salary range and/or hourly rate listed is a good faith
determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to
a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job
advertisement and may be modified in the future.When determining a
team member's base salary and/or rate, several factors may be
considered as applicable (e.g., location, specialty, service line,
years of relevant experience, education, credentials, negotiated
contracts, budget and internal equity).
Keywords: Northwell Health, New York , Mental Health Worker, Healthcare , Glen Oaks, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!