EMT - Basic*
Company: SeniorCare EMS
Posted on: November 11, 2019
- Job Title EMT - Basic* Location
- Position is based out of Long Island, NY SeniorLI Department
Field Operations FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports to Field
Supervisor, Operations Manager Shifts hiring Part-time, Full-time,
Night Shift, Weekends ACCOUNTABILITY: The EMT-B is qualified in
basic prehospital emergency care and services by a competency-based
educational program of clinical, didactic, and practice. The EMT-B
is licensed to operate an emergency vehicle and provides
prehospital basic life support (BLS). The standard of practice of
the EMT-B shall be in accordance with the most current edition of
the US DOT "Emergency Medical Technician: National Standard
Curriculum", as modified by the NYS DOH and NYC REMAC. DESCRIPTION
- Conducts a careful examination of the patient for signs and
symptoms of illness/injury and assists other medical personnel as
- Provides prompt and efficient care of the patient and
stabilization of their condition prior to transport.
- Provides careful handling of the patient in moving them to the
- Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient while
constantly monitoring the patient and providing any appropriate
- Provides orderly transfer of the patient at destination.
- Upon arrival at destination with patient, responsible for
preparing all BLS supplies and equipment to place the unit back in
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, controls the
accident scene, in such a way as to minimize further danger as well
as controlling the actions of bystanders.
- Obtains information regarding the emergency from dispatch,
communicates with other emergency personnel as needed, and alerting
hospital emergency department staff of the arrival of
- Obtains and records information as well as those required by
medical, legal, and health authorities. Is responsible for
documenting diagnosis/illness categories and completion of all
patient care related documents.
- Makes daily checks of the vehicle equipment and systems, and
completes manifest; responsible for competent operation of all
equipment and systems.
- Reports and relays needed repairs to supervisor.
- Responsible for maintaining NYS DOH certification.
- Administers basic pre-hospital care within the limits of
certification and in accordance with approved protocols.
- Attends training as scheduled.
- Does not use professional knowledge and skills in any
enterprise detrimental to the company or to the public
- Respects and holds in confidence all information obtained in
the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge
- Responsible for upholding standards of practice and
- Adheres to standards of personal ethics, on and off duty, which
reflect credit upon the profession.
- Protects the public by not delegating to persons less
qualified, any service which requires the professional competence
of an EMT-B.
- Refuses to participate in unethical procedures, and assumes the
responsibility to expose incompetence or unethical conduct of other
to the appropriate authority in a proper and professional
- Performs other duties as required by respective supervisor.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH REQUIRED:
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 250 pounds with assistance
from one other qualified individual.
- Must be able to lift and move a 50-75 lb. ambulance stretcher
with the help of one qualified individual.
- Must be able to lift a 175 lb. patient (in various positions,
i.e., while lying on the floor, the bed, in an automobile, etc.)
with the help of one qualified individual onto a stretcher.
- Meet minimum requirements of SCEMS Physical and Physical
Assessment Test. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Must be adaptive to work in all types of weather conditions,
including, but not limited to, rain, snow, heat, etc.
- Due to the uncontrolled environment in which the EMT-B works,
he/she may be subjected to predisposing themselves to be at risk
for: A. bodily harm B. exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other
potentially infectious materials (OPIM). KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND
- Able to drive in normal and adverse conditions.
- Skillful in thinking and acting quickly in stressful
- Able to function around seriously ill or injured people in a
- Able to maintain harmonious relationships with fellow crew
members, public safety personnel, and the general public under
- Good knowledge of common physical illnesses, obvious symptoms,
and appropriate medical terminology.
- Skillful in the application of BLS emergency care procedures
and in the use of all equipment maintained on ambulances.
- Skilled in use of locator aids to find specific locations
(maps, directories, etc.).
- Has full knowledge of rules of the road for emergency and
- Able to drive in accordance with SeniorCare safety standards.
Passes all driver examinations, written, and road tests.
- Avoids driving infractions, on and off duty, in accordance with
Company and insurance guidelines.
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner while on duty and
avoids inappropriate conduct, on and off duty, that may adversely
affect the reputation of SCEMS.
- Able to express self effectively to both medical and lay
personnel orally and written in the English language.
- Able to deal sympathetically with patients and others.
- Reflects the standards of professionalism in appearance with
neatness and cleanliness.
- Has good working knowledge of all company policies pertaining
to this position.
- Complete knowledge of protocols and their applications.
- Is physically fit. Meets all physical requirements for this
position. ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Has no physical disability which would prohibit the lifting and
carrying of heavy weight.
- Has quick reflexes and superior safe driving ability.
- Has no established medical history or any other medical
condition which may interfere with their ability to control and
operate a motor vehicle or provide patient care.
- Must be currently NYS DOH certified EMT-B.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Current BCLS certification from AHA. TITLE: EMT- B
ORGANIZATION: Operations EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt SUPERVISED
BY: Field Supervisor, Operations Manager
Keywords: SeniorCare EMS, New York , EMT - Basic*, Healthcare , Lynbrook, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!