Restaurant Shift Supervisor, Columbia University
Company: DIG Chefs-In-Training
Location: New York
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job DescriptionSOUS CHEF$18 - $21 / hour depending on experience
& MORE BENEFITS!Interested in a 4-day workweek schedule while still
getting full-time hours? This schedule is offered as an OPTIONAL
BENEFIT for those interested & will include four swing shifts that
will begin between 10 am - Noon each day and last for 9 hours and
45 minutes with a lunch break.ABOUT THE ROLE: As a Sous Chef, you
will support our Restaurant Leaders to drive culinary and
hospitality excellence in our scratch-based kitchen. With a genuine
love for cooking delicious food, you will work to master every DIG
station by consistently executing recipes, processes, and
procedures and training actively to elevate the knowledge of the
whole restaurant. Our Chefs-In-Training look to you for guidance
because you invest in their growth, lead during peak service,
resolve guest concerns and serve as a vital resource on culinary &
systems best practices. You will take initiative as a leader & role
model in the kitchen by participating in pre- shifts, shift
management, and training & will be held accountable to ensuring
tasks across the restaurant are completed on time and to standard.
The Sous Chef role is an hourly position and a great opportunity to
learn the business and grow with DIG! ABOUT THE TEAM:People are the
power - in our kitchens we not only develop knife skills, but life
skills. We use a traditional brigade system to streamline vertical
communication. As Sous Chef, our Chefs-In-Training partner with
you, and you report directly to our Restaurant Leaders. You work
collaboratively with the leadership team to ensure that everyone is
well trained and organized to provide guests' with an experience
that goes beyond a great meal. DIG is determined to rebuild the
food system, and we couldn't do it without you. YOU WILL:
- Elevate and motivate Chef's-in-Training by modeling culinary
expertise, warm hospitality, and a great attitude.
- Train fellow teammates on each station, following station
diagrams, pars & station prep to ensure consistency.
- Demonstrate mastery of every station by consistently executing
all seasonal menu offerings according to the recipes, procedures,
and standards of The Pantry.
- Manage prep lists, waste logs and participate in food inventory
while staying in close contact with your Chef de Cuisine to ensure
your walk-in is fully-stocked and organized.
- Learn all restaurant ordering systems [Food, paper etc] to
support the CDC in maintaining appropriate pars needed for
- Run and execute successful restaurant shift management by
writing a smart deployment, delegating work appropriately to the
team and following scheduled deployment and breaks.
- Successfully open and close the restaurant using the checklists
and thorough communication with the previous days leaders to best
prepare for a steady shift.
- Participate in team building through interview shadowing,
contributing to the Chef's table agenda, providing feedback to
CITs, and leading preshift.
- Operate the expeditor / computer station to ensure that food
presentation and order accuracy is met for all walk-in, pick-up and
- Troubleshoot and create solutions regarding guest concerns,
digital ordering, and equipment maintenance.
- Help to maintain the "A" lettergrade by following Department of
Health and DIG food safety standards.
- Demonstrate professional maturity and strictly uphold DIG's
anti-discrimination & anti-harassment policies. YOU HAVE:
- 1+ year leadership experience in a culinary environment.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position
(frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50
pounds). These physical requirements may be accomplished with or
without reasonable accommodations.
- Food Safety Certification.
- A desire to create exceptional employee & guest
- An eye for detail and solving challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in wherever
- A desire for growth in our brigade.WORK PERKS: Aside from the
standard job description fare (competitive pay) we also offer:
- Opportunities for GROWTH in a TEAM environment
- Competitive Pay: $17-19/hour depending on experience
- Paid Time Off
- Thanksgiving, Christmas and other Holidays Off
- Flexible Scheduling: Part Time and Full Time Hours
- Optional 4 Day Work Week Schedule with Full Time Hours
- Complimentary DIG lunch everyday
- Commuter Benefits ABOUT US:At Dig Food Group, we're building a
better food system for everyone by sourcing, cooking and serving
delicious food everyday. Nine years in, we've grown to more than 30
fast-casual Dig restaurants, opened our first full-service
restaurant, 232 Bleecker, partnered with 130 farms including our
own Dig Acres, and taught thousands of people how to cook (really
cook) in our kitchens. To do this, we've built direct and real
relationships with farmers. We don't just name check them on our
menus -- we're true partners in their businesses. We focus on
farmers who are independent, first-timers, women, immigrants, LGBTQ
and people of color. These relationships allow us to get the best
ingredients all year round and change our menu based on what is
growing in the fields.Each restaurant is run by a chef and all our
food is cooked on site. There are no microwaves, can openers or
freezers, just an entire culinary team at every location, cooking
vegetables all day. This requires training a whole generation of
chefs and cooks from the ground up, including many who have never
worked in a restaurant before. Knife skills are life skills. We're
not here to disrupt anything or become a platform. We run our
business on good food and great people. From sourcing to serving,
our mission is to create a better food system for everyone. That
means a world where farmers can make a living growing food, anyone
can learn to cook, and we can all eat well, together. DIG believes
in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are
committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse
candidates encouraged to applyAdditional Role Note: The duties of
this position may change from time to time. DIG reserves the right
to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of
Dig or its managers. This job description is intended to describe
the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be
all-inclusive.DIG is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ancestry, creed,
color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth,
breastfeeding or related condition, unemployment status, gender
identity or expression, transgender status or gender dysphoria,
marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking
victim status, national origin, citizenship, disability, covered
veteran and/or military status, genetic information or predisposing
genetic characteristic, familial status as that term is described
under the New York State Human Rights Law, caregiver or partnership
status as those terms are defined under the New York City Human
Rights Law (if you are employed in New York City) or other
protected status or any other characteristic as protected under
applicable federal, state and local law ("Protected Status").
Keywords: DIG Chefs-In-Training, New York , Restaurant Shift Supervisor, Columbia University, Hospitality & Tourism , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!