Engineering Manager, Software Development
Company: Upward Farms
Location: New York
Posted on: May 17, 2022
Upward Farms designs and operates complete ecosystems of plants
and fish in vertical farms, supplying these organic products to
local grocers. We are currently expanding and have recently opened
a new cutting-edge, fully automated facility in Brooklyn. More and
larger farms are in the works. Our mission is to heal the broken
food system and reconnect eaters with flavorful and nutritious
Our Software & Electronics team ("S&E") develops tools to
monitor, analyze, automate, and improve farm and business
operations. We are seeking an experienced software engineering
manager to support the development of custom software systems
throughout our operations. Day-to-day work will include budgeting,
prioritization, roadmap and program management, internal customer
management, vendor management, and problem solving with the
We are looking for someone eager to develop strong bonds with
diverse teams and users. Candidates must thrive working on a blank
page, highly interdisciplinary projects. Candidates for this
position will be expected to develop highly technical people and
engender a software engineering culture that we can employ as a
pipeline for solving problems with software.
This role will be charged with owning and further developing an
Agile/Lean software delivery process for delivering several
significant projects to production each year along with a variety
of small projects.
This role will ask the question "How can I help?" more than issue
assignments. Ultimate success in this role requires investing in
and supporting projects, programs, and colleagues so they reach and
exceed their goals.
- Develop and implement a vision for software engineering at
- Develop and implement standards, policies, procedures, and
tools for the software engineering program within S&E.
- Develop and maintain high-level strategic software development
- Coordinate with teams across Upward Farms to assess business
needs and offer recommendations on solving problems and meeting
needs with software.
- Collaborate with the project manager and product manager within
the software development program-yet to be hired-to develop
timelines, budgets, requirements, and reporting for ongoing and
- Propose and manage project budgets.
- Supervise and support multiple simultaneous projects.
- Consult with the software development team to contribute
software system designs and to solve technical and logistical
- Monitor and improve software development processes.
- Work with the existing team to hire and develop a
well-functioning software development team.
- Onboard new software development hires joining the team.
- Host regular two-way 1:1s with coachees including supporting
development plans and performance reviews.
- Determine the need for training and talent development for
software development professionals within the S&E team..
- Evaluate and hire contractors.
- Ensure software development projects have the support and
investment of leadership and end users alike.
- Technical and management background with the following
- Minimum 8 years of software development experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a software engineering
- Minimum 3 years of project and/or program management
- Extensive background in Electrical Engineering, Computer
Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related with
a degree, appropriate certifications, or equivalent work
- Extensive background in Engineering Management, Technical
Management, Business Administration, or related with a degree,
appropriate certifications, or equivalent work experience
- Experience managing sprints, milestones, and release
deliverables in an Agile/Lean environment
- Experience delivering highly technical projects developed in
parallel by working with a multidisciplinary team of people
- Experience hiring, onboarding, and coaching software developers
and other specialists within a software development program
- Excellent communication, flexibility, empathy, and problem
Preferred Skills + Experience
Any of the following is highly desirable though not required:
- Experience developing and deploying Cloud software
- Experience developing and deploying shop-floor, backend, or
IIoT software in manufacturing environments
- Experience developing and deploying AI/ML or data analytics
- Experience developing and deploying enterprise software in
- Experience with Python, Ruby, and Go
We offer a dynamic work environment and benefits that include:
- Aetna Medical, Aetna and MetLife Dental, and Aetna Vision
insurance; FSA/HSA plans; and HIPAA-compliant health advocates.
Upward Farms contributes 80-95% of the premium for Medical benefits
for employees and their families.
- Unlimited paid sick time. For extended illness, we offer
- Up to 20 days of paid time off per year, depending on
experience, in addition to paid holidays.
- For new parents, an extension of New York State's paid family
leave for up to 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave. This leave
is in addition to Disability leave available to pregnant and
- Commuter benefits, discounted bike shares, and other
- Fresh salad, and lots of it!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our needs are unique and
varied so we value colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, and/or protected veteran
Please note we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this
Keywords: Upward Farms, New York , Engineering Manager, Software Development, IT / Software / Systems , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!