Principal Attorney I
Company: New York Power Authority
Location: New York
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Provide legal advice to the Authority's Trustees, senior
management and all Authority business units. The attorneys in the
Department are, for administrative purposes, divided into--five
divisions: judicial actions in federal and state courts, both trial
and appellate; procurement, insurance, environmental, and energy
efficiency matters; human resources, labor, and employment issues;
legislative and regulatory affairs including representing the
Authority in administrative proceedings before FERC and the NYS
PSC; and real estate and corporate support issues.
- Draft legal opinions and briefs on complex or difficult
- Handle labor grievances and arbitration matters for represented
unions at both NYPA and Canals; handle employment issues, including
disciplinary matters at NYPA and Canals.
- Identify and research recent changes in law, rules and
regulations related to NYPA and identify potential impact to
business operations and recommend actions/responses to General
Counsel or Senior Management
- Effectively deliver presentations to employees at all levels of
- Independently handle complex cases on behalf of NYPA in
judicial or other administrative forums.
- Handle special projects on behalf of the General Counsel or
- Collaborate with clients to maintain and implement strategies
that further NYPA and/or client interest.
- Work closely with outside counsel to develop case strategies
and monitor billing practices. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate ability to handle complex cases independently.
- --Ability to provide timely responses and guidance to clients
on more complex legal issues without the opportunity to conduct
- Ability to develop or maintain good working internal and
external relationships at various levels at NYPA.
- Demonstrates good judgment and decision making skills.
- Maintain good case management and time management skills.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Posess Knowledge of civil service.
- Be skillful in guiding and giving support to less senior legal
- Ability to develop or maintain knowledge in a subject areas
relevant to NYPA. Education, Experience and Certifications
- Juris Doctor Degree
- Admitted to practice in New York State and Federal courts
- At least 10 years of legal experience
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of law
relevant to NYPA, such as energy, litigation, commercial and
finance, and employment.
- Experience in utility industry preferred Physical Requirements
- Approximately 25% travel primarily within NY State The New York
Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer New York is
Powered by You We are a team of over 1,900 energy technologists, IT
specialists, business experts, hydro engineers, and other
professionals leading the energy revolution. With state-of-the-art
technology, advanced R&D, and a modernized infrastructure, we
provide New Yorkers with low-cost, clean, reliable power - and we
are well on the way to becoming the first fully digital utility in
the country. At NYPA, you will be empowered to think big, do good,
and transform the energy industry.
Nearest Major Market: White Plains
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Job Segment: Research
Keywords: New York Power Authority, New York , Principal Attorney I, Legal , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!