Company: Provident Bank
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Provident Bank is recruiting a General Counsel ("GC") to act as
a trusted advisor to the Board of Directors, CEO and executive
leadership . Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer and
General Counsel of the Bank's publicly traded holding company, the
General Counsel of the Bank will be responsible for managing and
overseeing the legal functions of the Bank. Responsibilities
include providing direct legal support to the Bank's executive
management team, business units and other support centers. The
successful candidate will manage litigation, and be engaged in
corporate governance matters, Board and internal policies, mergers
and acquisitions, vendor management, risk management, regulatory
filings, general corporate matters, miscellaneous legal research
and analysis and a variety of other tasks. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directly and with outside counsel advise and provide guidance
to the board of directors, executive management, business units and
support centers of the bank (including retail banking, commercial
lending, residential lending, wealth management, insurance
brokerage, marketing and human resources) to help ensure that the
legal rights of the Bank are protected, that its legal obligations
and potential exposures are well defined and understood by
management and that the Bank and its affiliates comply with
applicable laws and regulations.
- Be responsible for the selection and management of outside
counsel and be accountable for the Bank's legal expense
- Assist with mergers and acquisitions.
- Prepare or review all SEC filings.
- Provide support for retail banking and operations which
includes providing advice and responding to discovery requests and
court orders involving customer accounts.
- Review and negotiate vendor contracts and real estate leases,
review customer agreements.
- Prepare and file regulatory applications and notices with the
bank's regulatory agencies and other governmental entities as may
be required from time to time.
- Attend various management and board meetings as needed and
provide appropriate guidance and advice to management as
- Serve as an executive liaison to the Governance/Nominating
Committee of the board of directors and work closely with its Chair
on corporate governance matters. Additionally, the new GC will need
to embrace the Company's values and must operate at all times with
the highest degree of integrity and respect. Visibility and
engagement throughout the organization will be a critical component
of the role. The GC must have a strong executive presence, and be
an effective and engaged influencer with a proactive and open
communication style. CANDIDATE QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS Below
is a listing of the personal traits that the General Counsel will
need to possess in order to succeed in this role: Personality
- High degree of personal integrity, ethics, and emotional
- Inspirational and motivational leader with strong ability to
envision strategy while possessing the skills to execute.
- Motivated by the success of the team, not the individual.
Empathetic leader who genuinely cares about his/her
- Creative thinker who brings new ideas and best practices to the
table with a fresh perspective. Intellectually curious.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; collegial, likeable and
genuine. Open, accessible and willing to share information and
- Collaborative, with the ability to build and sustain
relationships and to work across business lines and disciplines
effectively. A true team player.
- Decisiveness as a leader. Takes ownership of actions and
responsibilities. Ability to take a constructive stand on difficult
- High emotional intelligence. Low ego. Very capable of reading
people and understanding the needs of others.
- High degree of intellect. Analytical thinker who is able to
dissect issues and engineer solutions, while also demonstrating
sound judgement and intuition. Communication
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Exceptional personal presentation skills. Charismatic and
articulate with a strong comfort level speaking to both large and
- Open and approachable style. Open-minded and truly
collaborative. Business/Industry Skills
- Minimum of 10 years' experience advising a public company
either in-house or at a private law firm. Exceptional strategic and
organizational planning skills.
- Proven knowledge of securities laws.
- Merger and acquisition experience.
- Banking industry knowledge would be preferred.
- Admission to practice law in the State of New Jersey. We are an
equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and
over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information,
military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex,
sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by
state or local law. *Li-POST About Provident Bank For more than 175
years, Provident Bank has served individuals, families, and
businesses in our local communities with personal and business
banking services. Volunteering is a Way of Life Our brand promise -
"Commitment you can count on" - supports the investments we make in
the community and donations made by our employees. It's a promise
also reflected in the volunteerism of our employees, who lend time
and talent and countless hours to assist hundreds of organizations
and thousands of people and animals each year. Why do we love it?
- We get to volunteer in areas that are meaningful to the bank
and impactful in the community.
- Through generous contributions, we have raised over $28,000 in
2018. No item or donation is too small; we find a home for it
Keywords: Provident Bank, New York , Corporate Counsel, Legal , Iselin, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!