Resident Advisor (1)
Company: Covenant House New York
Location: New York
Posted on: February 25, 2021
The Resident Advisor provides all Youth Shelter residents with
holistic and comprehensive supportive services in a positive and
nurturing environment using an integrated, multi-disciplinary team
approach. Reporting to CHNY's Program Coordinator, the Resident
Advisor will support a culture that successfully achieves
meaningful results for the young people we serve. Various Shifts:
Day: 7:00 am - 3:00pm / Evening: 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm-- Duties and
- Provide direct engagement, supervision, and support to youth
residing in the shelter.
- Operate fully out of CHNY's mission, vision and 5 principles
and maintain an environment that displays this culture.
- Ensure that floor and rooms are clean, safe and well-lit in
preparation for new youth entering program. Ensure that floor and
rooms remain serviceable throughout youth residency.
- Monitor program and client activities to ensure a safe and
secure environment. Including, but not limited to securing the unit
in the event of an altercation, conducting room searches in
accordance with CHNY policy, assisting in evacuation during drills
- Welcome youth to the floor and orient youth to floor
expectations, Mission Statement and 5 principles.
- Assist youth with preparation for the day. Support youth in
life skills, ie. laundry, ironing, cleaning etc.
- Provide support to Case Managers as needed, distribute
appointment slips, appointment follow up, collection and filing of
paperwork, assist with file maintenance and compliance,
- Must have an understanding of the youth service plan.
- Maintain ETO records and clearly document all youth activities
and meaningful interactions using the S.O.A.P. format.
- Escort youths to other agencies and services when necessary
(e.g., hospitals, mass transit).
- Conduct room searches for Youth Shelter residents after
emergency evacuations to ensure everyone is safely off the
- Create a sanctuary for youth on the floor.
- Provide direct support and monitoring when escorting youth to
clothing room, being in the cafeteria for meals, participating in
recreation activities, group activities, and special events.
- Directly engage with youth at all levels of service, i.e., "Be
where the youth are"
- Maintain healthy relationships with the youth, mindful of
boundaries and mutual respect.
- Conduct nightly meetings focused on CHNY Mission and
Principles, motivation, mutual support and community building.
- Conduct workshops on various life-skill issues, such as
hygiene, anger management, self-esteem, and problem-solving,
cleaning and laundry.
- Complete all incident reports fully and correctly by end of
shift and submit to appropriate parties.
- Participate in all required training, supervision and staff
- Performs other duties as assigned/needed. Qualifications
- High School/GED w/ 3 or more years of relevant--work experience
or Bachelors degree with 1 year of relevant work experience
- Experience working with at-risk youth strongly preferred.
- NYS Driver's license preferred. Comfortable driving a
7-passenger van a plus.
- Interest in working with homeless and runaway youth issues;
with a focus on housing, employment, education and health
- Excellent organizational skills to develop living situations
for young adults.
- Ability to monitor and de-escalate in a crisis situation.
- Ability to follow instructions, prioritize assignments and work
in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible work schedule to include evenings and holidays. "Equal
employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental
principles at Covenant House New York, where employment and
promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities
and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender,
pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national
origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or
any other protected characteristic as established under law." Apply
Now * Fields Are Required What is your full name? First Name How
can we contact you? Email Phone Number Number Type What is your
preferred method of communication?
Keywords: Covenant House New York, New York , Resident Advisor (1), Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!