Chief Risk Officer for the Americas, Managing Director & Policy Making Officer
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group
(MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by
S&P Global, April 2020).In the Americas, we’re 13,000
colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client,
organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values,
developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect.
It’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and
diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and
agility. We’re a team that accepts responsibility for the future by
asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and
be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions
Purpose and Scope:
With matrix reporting to the Chief Executive Officer for the
Americas and Global Chief Risk Officer in Tokyo, this role designs
the risk identification, assessment strategies, and processes for
the Americas and ensures effective communication of appropriate
risk information to relevant stakeholders. They will serve as a key
executive leader responsible for deepening the Company’s risk and
The Chief Risk Officer (CRO) leads the Center of Excellence and
is responsible for managing risk, drawing on the expertise of
highly skilled individual risk managers. This individual is
responsible for assessing business risks and ensuring uniform
processes across the organization. The role is a critical partner
in building out new products and expanding initiatives that enable
the business to achieve its strategy. The role is a trusted partner
and advisor to the Board of Directors of the Intermediate Holding
Company, Home Office in Tokyo, Chief Executive Officer, Chief
Financial Officer, and business leaders to meet all risk and
regulatory deliverables required of the bank. The role collaborates
with the executive leadership team of MUFG and the Global Risk
team, providing insights and advice on advancing the development of
an effective and efficient three lines of defense model across the
Priorities of the role include instituting sustainable risk
programs in technology and data governance, integrating the
function within the Americas, and meeting regulatory expectations
for risk management. Strategically, the successful candidate will
establish and maintain industry best practices for risk management.
In addition, they will create and execute a vision for how the
organization and the risk management function will evolve into the
future, thinking ahead to understand technological, macroeconomic,
geopolitical, health, and climate impacts on the
- Oversees the design and implementation of a
consistent risk management framework to be applied across the
Americas. Focuses on risk-based standards across business units,
with an appreciation for the nuances and complexities of risk in
- Leads the adoption of a simplified
organization-wide risk management program, integrating
considerations of risk into strategic decision-making. Collaborates
with leadership across function and business unit to ensure there
is alignment regarding the execution and implementation of the risk
- Oversees, monitors, reviews, and improves the key
business risk management processes and performance to ensure
effectiveness in strategy and implementation of best
- Clearly articulates the relationships between
quantitative and qualitative risks, ensuring compliance with
policies and procedures, and monitoring the results of risk
- Proactively automates manual processes and helps
establish best risk and control practices.
- Leads identification of key risk areas for the
organization, evaluating and quantifying their potential
- Chairs the Risk Committee for the Americas and
establishes and coordinates agendas for the Risk Committee of the
- Serves as CRO for Combined U.S. Operations
- Engages with management to identify areas of risk,
offer solutions, develop early warning signs, and design processes
to monitor findings.
- Leads, attracts, engages, and retains a top-quality
- Oversees the enterprise Compliance function,
including Americas Financial Crimes.
- Leads the design and implementation of key business
risk management processes. Oversees and monitors risk management
performance through effective measurement, monitoring and
- In partnership with the Board, CEO and CFO, leads
the Company in successfully meeting all regulatory deliverables
including the Federal Reserve’s annual assessment of the
Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR) and the Dodd-Frank
Act Supervisory Stress Testing (DFAST). Ensures all regulatory
outcomes on any existing and all future areas that require
attention are satisfactory.
The successful candidate should have the following
- 20 years of credit/risk management experience in a
large, complex financial services company.
- Experience working within a global organization
- Comprehensive risk management and regulatory
knowledge, including credit, counterparty, market, interest rate,
liquidity, M&A, and operational risk.
- Outstanding knowledge of risk management concepts,
frameworks, methods, and sound governance practices.
- Strong technical, quantitative, and analytical
skills and knowledge of financial and economic
- Familiarity with lines of business within MUFG
Americas including retail, private banking, commercial banking,
corporate banking, and investment banking.
- Excellent leadership and decision-making skills;
demonstrated through the ownership of issues and seen through to
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and
written, and the ability to communicate clearly at all levels of
- Appropriate educational credentials.
Critical Leadership Capabilities
- Driving Results.
- Works to beat goals; drives the risk agenda
forward; continually reviews and improves business risk management
- Strategic Thinking.
- Translates strategy into plans; develops key
business risk management plans to align with the overall bank
strategy; thinks about future implications on the risk function and
plans ahead accordingly.
Collaborating and Influencing
- Engages with the group; builds effective, trusted,
and credible relationships with multiple constituencies; presents
differing opinions and credibly challenges management, as
appropriate, from a risk perspective; communicates effectively to
Key Personality Traits for Success
- Works effectively under pressure.
- Values prudent risk management and
- Likes to plan ahead and carefully; thinks things
through before making decisions or taking action.
- Builds effective, trusted, and credible
- Strong interpersonal and communication
- Exhibits cultural competence.
- The highest level of uncompromising
- Versatile and adaptable; able to react quickly;
comfortable in a fluid environment without overly prescribed roles
and structured reporting relationships.
- Able to work in a demanding environment; a proven
track record of working effectively under pressure while balancing
a variety of critical projects for a demanding and diverse group of
- Proven ability to build effective, trusted, and
credible relationships with multiple constituencies through strong
interpersonal skills, communications, actions, and
- Demonstrated ability to present differing opinions
and to credibly challenge management, while maintaining a high
degree of professionalism and collaboration.
- Dedicated to producing high quality results and
meeting deadlines. Excellent project management skills.
Technical Skills and Other Requirements for
- Able to lead a diverse team of risk professionals
and instill a diversity of mindset in that team.
- Broad understanding of industry best practices and
regulatory expectations for risk management; understands regulatory
processes, activities, and requirements of a bank.
- Credible and respected by the regulators; able to
build strong working relationships with key regulatory
- Good organizational, planning, and project
management skills, with the ability to multitask and drive multiple
Critical Experiences to be Successful in
- Risk and regulatory knowledge by working with
regulators or in a highly regulated environment.
- Credit/operational/market risk management
experience at a large, global financial services
- Experience working in a regulated environment,
interacting with regulators and an understanding of control laws
- Management experience in a rapidly changing
- Experience at a foreign owned institution is a
The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to
be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties
and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds,
perspectives and experience of our workforce to create
opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not
discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors
such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation,
seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all
employment decisions. Additionally, it’s the bank’s policy to only
inquire into a candidate’s criminal history after an offer has been
made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who
have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for,
Keywords: MUFG, New York , Chief Risk Officer for the Americas, Managing Director & Policy Making Officer, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!