Home Therapies Program Manager
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Manages the provision of quality patient care in an independent
home therapy program while maintaining cost-effective clinical
operations in accordance with all legal, compliance, and regulatory
requirements and programs. Takes the appropriate actions and makes
the necessary decisions to ensure the continuity of care and
patient and staff safety. Provides direction and guidance to the
interdisciplinary team providing care to the Home Therapy patients
to ensure that the highest standards of care is provided.
Collaborates with the Business Unit management team to grow the
assigned Home Therapies program(s).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the tactical execution of short- and long-term
objectives through the coordination of activities with a direct
responsibility for results, including costs, operational methods,
growth, and quality and staffing.
- Provide leadership, coaching and development plans for all
direct reports to maintain an engaged and productive workforce;
partnering with Human Resources on employee matters.
- Technically proficient in the specific department and knowledge
of industry practice and business principles. Works on issues of
diverse scope where analysis of situation or data requires
evaluation of a variety of factors, including an understanding of
current industry trends.
- Experienced leadership required for multi-faceted environment;
role primarily focuses on tactical execution. Receives assignments
in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to
meet schedules and goals.
- Program or project responsibility generally within the Home
Therapy Department. Manages the operations of one or more HT
Programs, direct impact within assigned area. Manages the
coordination of activities of a section or department with direct
responsibility for results, including costs, operational methods,
- Follows processes and operational policies in selecting methods
and techniques for obtaining solutions. Recommends changes to
policies and procedures following company protocol as needed.
Ensures that subordinates follow policy and procedures.
- Frequently interacts with supervisors, customers, and/or
functional peer group managers, normally involving matters between
functional areas, other company divisions or units, or
- Participates and presents at meetings with internal and
external representatives. Often leading a cooperative effort among
members of a project team.
- Interacts with internal departments and external customers;
particularly in problem resolution. Acts as an advisor to
subordinate(s) to meet schedules and/or resolve problems.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching and counseling employees,
including performance reviews, disciplinary action and
- Participates in the development and implements the area
strategic plans, goals and objectives ensuring alignment with those
of the region, division and company. Implements HT program-specific
and area quality goals and action plans in order to achieve quality
- Responsible and accountable for facility maintenance and
environmental integrity. Promotes a culture of safety in assigned
- Provide technical guidance.
- Assist with various projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Directs and manages all aspects of patient care for Home
Therapies patients in assigned program from admission through
discharge of the patient. Provides direction, guidance and support
to staff members to ensure the safe and effective delivery of home
therapy support care to patients with End Stage Renal Disease
(ESRD). Ensures that the standard of dialysis provided is at least
equivalent to that provided to facility patients.
- Oversees the identification and evaluation of candidates for
the Home Therapies Program including assessment of patients' home
environment if needed.
- Accountable for timely completion of patient care plans by
organizing meetings of the health care team to discuss patient care
plans and resolve patient problems.
- Maintains and communicates efficient and timely patient
schedules to ensure maximization of the facility station
- Ensures completion of Initial and Annual Nursing assessment,
and ongoing evaluation and documentation of patient care needs
according to FMC Policies and Procedures is completed.
- Ensures patients' response to home dialysis treatment therapy
is documented according to company policies and procedures and in
compliance with pertinent regulatory requirements.
- Ensure appropriate intervention for changes in patient adequacy
status and troubleshooting peritoneal and access flow issues are
completed per physician orders.
- Identifies and communicates patient related issues to the
- Develops action plans for missed treatments in collaboration
with the Medical Director.
- Administers medications as prescribed including algorithm (as
appropriate), and document appropriate medical justification if
indicated. Responsible for the appropriate recording of controlled
substances as required by law.
- Ensures reports of alert/panic and abnormal lab results are
communicated to appropriate physician.
- Implements staffing and medical supply models to ensure
provision of quality patient care.
- Ensures all educational needs of patient and family are met
regarding End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
- Ensures education of the patient regarding quality measures,
transplant options, modality awareness, and access care, including
vascular catheter reduction and adherence to treatment regime.
- Oversees coordination transplant education and assists in
transplant workup process.
- Ensures all patients are educated regarding laboratory values
and the relationship to adequate dialysis therapy, compliance with
treatment schedules medications, and fluid as appropriate.
- Oversees the safe, effective and timely training of all home
patients and their families/significant others on the safe and
effective operation and maintenance (as appropriate), of all home
- Acts as a resource for the patient to address concerns and
- Develops a mechanism or process for acquiring and maintaining
knowledge of the specific situation of each patient, including
hospitalizations, and any significant change in patient care
- In the absence of a Kidney Care Advocate, the HT PM will manage
the delivery of the Treatment Options Program.
- Manages and ensures all physician orders are accurately entered
into the Medical Information System and that company policies and
government regulations related to the collection, packaging, and
delivery of lab specimens and reporting of results are
- Maintains appropriate skill levels with all emergency
operational procedures, and initiates CPR and emergency measures in
the event of cardiac and/or respiratory arrests when the patient is
in the medical office.
- Manages assigned program Home Therapies licensed personnel,
direct patient care staff, indirect patient care personnel, and
when necessary, technical staff.
- Provides employee education and guidance, and performance
related feedback through ongoing informal advice and formally
through the annual performance evaluation.
- Manages the Home Therapies staffing through the appropriate
hiring, firing and disciplinary actions.
- Ensures completion of new hire orientation and training
including mandatory in-services and ICD-9 code training when
- Collaborates with staff to establish personal goals and
provides opportunities for professional growth and training to
achieve these goals to ensure clinical competence.
- Conducts regular staff meetings to ensure appropriate
communication of area, regional and corporate initiatives and
policies and procedures, to educate and monitor staff regarding
appropriate patient care techniques and other company and
regulatory policies and procedures.
- Responsible for all patient care employees receiving
appropriate training according to policy, including training to
ensure ongoing compliance with all risk management initiatives.
Ensure documentation completed for all annual in- service
- Collaborates with all appropriate departments to promote home
- Provides written documentation of all disciplinary conferences
in accordance with the established personnel policies, and confer
with the Director of Operations regarding the nature of the
- Participates in Corporate and Business Unit specific employee
recognition and satisfaction programs.
- Creates, maintains and communicates efficient and timely
employee schedules according to the needs of the facility.
- Ensure all staff is trained in the principles and concepts and
practice Customer Service Model.
- Creates and implements a (CQI) Process Improvement Team that
involves staff in problem solving.
- Ensures competency of HT personnel in the operation of all home
dialysis therapy-related equipment, including the ability to
troubleshoot equipment problems with the patient via
- Directs staff and patients in the preventive maintenance of
home therapy equipment, including water systems and analyses as
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more
departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or
location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
- Travel required between assigned facilities and various
locations within the region. Travel to regional, Business Unit and
Corporate meetings may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care
facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
May be exposed to infectious and contagious
- Responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of
Home Therapies RN, Home Therapies LPN, HT Coordinator and HT PCT.
May also have supervisory role over technical as necessary and
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing (R.N.) Advanced
education preferred. Current appropriate state licensure.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum of one year nursing experience plus a minimum of six
months dialysis nursing experience.
- 3 years' supervisory or project/program management experience
- Demonstrated management skills necessary to provide leadership
in the supervision of dialysis personnel and to ensure the delivery
of maximum quality care to all patients.
- Competent at operating all Home Therapies related
- Must be available as a fulltime employee and provide on-call
coverage when necessary
- Demonstrated leadership competencies and skills for the
position, including excellent communication, customer service,
continuous quality improvement, relationship development, results
orientation, team building, motivating employees. Performance
management and decision making.
- Successfully complete CPR Certification with maintenance as
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, New York , Home Therapies Program Manager, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!