Program Manager - GRID3
Company: Columbia University
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
- Requisition no: 514907
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- School/Department: Center for Intl Earth Science Info
- Grade: Grade 13
- Categories: Other, Administrative Support
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
The Center for International Earth Science Information Network
(CIESIN) located at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory campus of
Columbia University in Palisades, New York, is seeking a Program
Manager, to support its GRID3 project. GRID3 (Geo-Referenced
Infrastructure and Demographic Data for Development) supports
governments to generate, validate and use geospatial data on
population, settlements, infrastructure, and subnational
boundaries. GRID3 combines the expertise of partners in government,
United Nations, academia, and the private sector to design
adaptable and relevant geospatial solutions based on capacity and
development needs of each country. CIESIN is GRID3's managing
The GRID3 Program Manager organizes and coordinates GRID3
program activities within CIESIN, across partners and program
stakeholders. Acts as a focal point for donors and collaborators.
Supports the coordination of strategic meetings and partner events
accordingly. Works closely together with GRID3 leadership, country
teams, and other project managers to identify priorities and manage
program risks. Ensures the effective and timely implementation of
the program across countries. Supports communications efforts
within the program.
- Manages program implementation within GRID3 team at CIESIN and
across partners and program stakeholders. Works closely with GRID3
country teams to coordinate and track country-level activities and
plans. Monitors milestones, identifies priorities, and facilitates
resources to solve problems. Ensures timely and efficient
information sharing. Provides strategic support to country teams on
landscaping and country/regional needs assessment, in-country
partnerships, and political/natural risk mitigation.
- Acts as a focal point for donors and collaborators. Manages
integration of work plans across GRID3 partners. Facilitates calls,
meetings, working groups, and discussions, ensuring efficient
information sharing across the partners as well as between program
leadership and country implementation teams.
- As part of the GRID3 management team, assists leadership in
managing the program's strategy, resources, and long-term
objectives. Identifies potential bottlenecks, risks, and other
challenges, and works with other project staff to identify and
implement appropriate responses. Assists with efforts involving
proposal preparation, grant management, subcontracting, and
coordination of Columbia University and CIESIN policies and
- Creates, maintains, and manages processes and tools for the
program's weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual status reporting.
Monitors and reports on the GRID3 program's outputs, outcomes, and
risks. Ensures that the GRID3's logframe is kept up to date.
- Provides management support during the production of external
communication materials which may include news items,
presentations, and social media outputs.
- Performs other relevant duties as needed.
- Will report to the Senior Staff Associate/CIESIN's Deputy
Director, and receive guidance from GRID3 leadership. Exercises
independent judgement and initiative within specific
- Bachelor's degree and 4-6 years of related experience in
program/project management, communications, strategic planning, and
stakeholder engagement required.
- Master's degree in social sciences, management, or similar
- Experience in international development, and familiarity with
geospatial data are preferred.
- Working proficiency in French, Portuguese, or other major
language is desired due to the concentration of the work is on the
continent of Africa.
- Ability to organize complex tasks and bring them to successful
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, strong
interpersonal skills, and experience managing a team and/or
external consultants required.
- Competency in MS Office and G-Suite applications; experience
using various project management tools and software (e.g. Asana,
Smartsheets, Trello, etc.) is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Must be able to work in interdisciplinary teams.
- Expected international travel: 25%.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer - Race /
Gender / Disability / Veteran
The Lamont campus values diversity and inclusion, and encourages
applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.
We accept online applications only.
Applications open: May 28 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 07 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Back Apply Share
Keywords: Columbia University, New York , Program Manager - GRID3, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!