Sr. Underwriting Support Specialist: Management Liability
Company: Markel Corporation
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as an integral
member of the underwriting team fulfilling basic underwriting
responsibilities. This position will handle day-to- day client
servicing including underwriting issues and managing workflow to
ensure the client has a superior experience. This role allows
production underwriters to focus on broker relationships and
business development. Position is responsible for underwriting less
complex renewal business and develops into handling less complex
new business. Supports attainment of written premium goals, loss
ratio, and growth opportunities of team by providing backup to
underwriters and superior customer service.
- Manage renewal business under the supervision of an Underwriter
and move to writing new business - prepare analysis of exposure and
present to Underwriter for signoff.
- Able to gather and review information on financial conditions,
risk exposure, loss history, and economic trends that may impact
the terms and conditions offered to the client.
- Able to extract internal data and research external information
to identify trends impacting product line.
- Able to provide basic forms/coverage interpretations and advise
on additional coverage needs, understand and evaluate exposures,
and underwrite policy change requests.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/information
in account management system and adherence to documentation
- Ensure accuracy of information inputted into all appropriate
systems and verify that all necessary documentation is in the
- Establish, support, and maintain effective relationships and/or
regular contact with clients and build strong relationships with
employees across the organization.
- 2+ years of insurance related experience required; including a
fundamental understanding of professional liability underwriting
concepts, practices and procedures
- Excellent customer service skills
- Self-directed and highly productive with minimal
- Strong PC skills, especially in Word, Excel, and Outlook and
paperless working environment
- Good skills in verbal and written communication, analysis and
problem solving, organization and time management
- Ability to develop, foster, and maintain an excellent working
relationship with clients
- Detail-oriented, results-oriented, accuracy-focused
- Works within specified guidelines and in a self-directed
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Comfortable with high volume workloads and production
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative
- College degree preferred
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.
Keywords: Markel Corporation, New York , Sr. Underwriting Support Specialist: Management Liability, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!