Psychiatrist Consultant (Remote)
Company: Good Shepherd
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with
more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families
each year - and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills
for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of
every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in
whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work
in NYC by Crain's New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a
fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to
fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our
team and help make a difference!
Reports to: Director of Social Services
Location: TBD (programs are located in Bronx, Manhattan and
Brooklyn) with remote possibilities
Hours: Minimum of two evaluations per week
Job Summary: In the context of a milieu setting, the
Psychiatrist is responsible for four major components: 1) an
active, collaborative member of the treatment team; 2) routine and
emergency psychiatric evaluations; 3) psychiatric impressions to be
shared with milieu staff and 4) medication management.
Provide Evaluations and Impressions:
- Programs must have evaluations completed quickly as youth are
there for a finite amount of time. The psychiatric evaluation is
one of the most important methods of assessment.
- Routine Psychiatric Evaluations, as needed: Conduct
comprehensive evaluations after being provided with available
paperwork (e.g. past medical history and, in most circumstances, a
psychosocial written by a social worker (or by staff from outside
agencies, when available).
- Conduct an urgent assessment of youth with the understanding
that very basic information will be provided (possibly only
verbally), especially when discharged from hospital on a
- Psychiatric Consultation and Assessment on an emergency basis/
when needed: Conduct an urgent assessment of a youth in crisis to
assist treatment team in preventing hospitalization or to aid in
developing an action plan with the Treatment team. Information will
be provided verbally to staff (supervisors, Social Workers, etc) if
not in writing.
- Visit the milieu daily to observe youth/ check in with
Residential Life Staff regarding updates of youth. Check in with
Social Workers regarding Psychiatric needs of youth on their
- Provide guidance, psychiatric impressions and clinical
expertise in the milieu based on needs of the program.
- For youth on psychotropic medications, the psychiatrist
assesses and adjusts these medications as needed.
- Assess whether medications are warranted and, in conjunction
with the Treatment team, devises an appropriate plan.
- For youth who are psychiatrically hospitalized, the
psychiatrist communicates with the treatment team at the hospital
to consult about planning and post discharge plans.
- Meet /talk with parents to obtain informed consent as
Participation in Treatment Team/Other Meetings Regarding Youth
- The psychiatrist provides a summary of his/her evaluation of
youth he/she has assessed and, based on his/her psychiatric
knowledge, offers impressions and collaboration based on staff's
- Lead clinical consultations for each program. Lead in service
trainings to staff on psychiatrically related topics.
- Provide psychoeducation on treatment needs/ psychopharmacology
based on impressions and reports from staff.
- Share, summarize and present critical findings on evaluation
with Treatment team (& Service Plan Reviews).
- Adhere to Child Welfare Principles of Safety, Permanency and
- Provides timely paperwork in compliance with ACS, OCFS and COA
- Provides Psychiatric Evaluations and Impressions as well as
Medication Management for youth who are not on site but for whom
the program retains case planning.
- Participate in mandatory on-line or in-person trainings (e.g.,
Medicaid Compliance and HIPAA)
- Effectively use and practice the Sanctuary Model tools: safety
plans, community meetings, psycho-educational groups, team
meetings, red flag reviews, treatment planning conferences (or
similar), and self-care in the department/program to create a
non-violent and trauma-sensitive culture.
- Promote and model the seven Sanctuary Model commitments to
create a non-violent and trauma-sensitive culture.
- Integrate the Sanctuary Model SELF (Safety, Emotional
Management, Loss and Future) framework into daily practice to
ensure quality care and an effective work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- MD or DO license/NY State Board Certification or Board Eligible
in Psychiatry - Child/Adolescent Psychiatry preferred.
- Experience working with children, adolescents and
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based, youth
development and trauma-informed perspective
- Must have a commitment to GSS models of practice including
Youth and Family Development.
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal, written, organization and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively
within a fast-paced milieu setting.
Good Shepherd Services is an equal opportunity employer that is
proudly committed to becoming an anti-racist and multicultural
organization that stands up for justice and equity. We welcome
prospective employees from diverse backgrounds, for administrative
support and direct service and leadership roles, who will join us
on that journey, uphold our values and approach, and believe in our
mission. Additionally, we aim to have a racially representative
leadership and workforce that is reflective of the communities we
work in partnership with.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive
and welcoming environment for all members of our staff,
participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender,
gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability,
marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of
our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not
limited to, hiring and termination of staff, selection of
volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
Keywords: Good Shepherd, New York , Psychiatrist Consultant (Remote), Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!