Company: Columbia University
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
- Requisition no: 513015
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer
- Grade: Technical Grade 6
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
The Molecular Pathology Shared Resource (MPSR) of the Herbert
Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (HICCC) of Columbia University
whose aim is to enable cancer and related tissue-based research is
seeking a Lab Technologist. The individual will be responsible for
all routine aspects of the histology service of the MPSR.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Receiving instructions from clients as to their requests,
performance of routine histology services from grossing, to
processing, to embedding, cutting, and staining of tissues (routine
- Cutting and staining frozen tissues.
- Responsible for the construction of tissue microarray,
performing tissue microdissection as well as supervising and
training less experienced staff.
- Tasked with ordering supplies, maintaining equipment and
related laboratory records, performing billing and recording
functions as needed in the laboratory as well as quality
- Extensive experience and be highly skilled as a
histotechnologist and be willing to assume responsibility and
managerial functions as needed, (all other outlined tasks will be
trained if unfamiliar).
- Assist in Tissue Banking operations including procuring,
processing, storing, and annotation of tissues, and logging to the
database and other Tumor Bank-related operations including tissue
retrieval and return.
Essential functions (list in order of importance, includes
percentage of effort):
- Embedding & cutting of paraffin blocks & frozen sections
- Routine staining and cover Slipping (10%)
- Assist tissue bank in specimen accession, organization,
operations, and computer-related annotation (10%)
- Preparation of laboratory reagents & solutions according to
detailed instructions (5%)
- Follow detailed instructions pertaining to research protocol
- Interact with research personnel & laboratory associates
relating to laboratory operations (10%)
- Perform other related duties necessary to the functioning of
the laboratory and related research projects (5%)
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences or related fields.
- 7 years or more of experience in histology laboratory
operations preferred but lesser will be considered based on
- Any past experience in immunohistochemistry is a plus but is
not required, as the facility will back up our IHC service
during vacations (must be willing to learn).
- Computer skills a major plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified
Applications open: Feb 23 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Back Apply Share
Keywords: Columbia University, New York , Laboratory Technologist, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!