Senior Legal Attorney Editor, Patent *REMOTE*
Company: Carolina Power & Light Co
Location: New York
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Practical Law is looking for a Patent Counseling & Transactions
Editor to join our Intellectual Property & Technology Service.
The Attorney will:
- Conceptualize, draft, edit, and maintain original legal
know-how materials, including practice notes, annotated
standard-form documents, and checklists for online and print
- Maintain current awareness of and analyze law and market
practice in this area.
- Focus and shape Practical Law's patent prosecution, counseling,
and transactions content.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external law firm
- Assist with the development of special projects undertaken by
Thomson Reuters and Practical Law.
- Collaborate with sales and marketing teams to plan and lead
product demonstrations, webinars, and in-person continuing legal
education seminars for current and potential subscribers.
- Write and edit content for Practical Law's companion magazine,
Practical Law The Journal.
- Develop relationships with law firm attorneys, in-house counsel
and industry groups to ensure that the IP&T service's content
is topical and meets their needs.
- This role may be located in a home office if candidate is not
near a Thomson Reuters facility.*
Candidates should have at least the following skills and
- A J.D.
- At least eight years' experience practicing before the US
Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), whether in a law firm or
corporate law department, with expertise in global patent
acquisition, maintenance and portfolio management. Current member
in good standing of the bar of the USPTO. Must have drafted, filed,
and prosecuted at least 50 original patent applications. USPTO
examiner experience a plus.
- Expertise in all aspects of global patent prosecution,
counseling, and transactions practice and procedure, optimally
- drafting basic patent prosecution documents, such as
applications, office action responses, declarations, affidavits,
petitions, and appeal briefs;
- maximizing patent protection through continuation practice,
patent term adjustment and extension, and effective use of
- post-patent-issuance procedures, including reissue application,
ex parte reexamination, and other Patent Trial and Appeal Board
practice and procedure;
- thorough understanding of key current USPTO patent pilot
- global patent portfolio management;
- freedom-to-operate and patentability investigations and
- pre-litigation analysis and litigation support;
- patent support for corporate acquisitions, including due
diligence investigations and addressing patent representations,
warranties, and indemnification in acquisition agreements and
patent licensing, technology joint development agreements and
similar collaborative academic and commercial development
agreements, ancillary patent agreements for corporate acquisitions,
and patent settlement agreements.
- Significant practice experience in one or more of the following
areas is helpful:
- design patents;
- Patent Cooperation Treaty, European, Japanese, or Chinese
patent practice and procedure; and
computer-implemented technologies, biotechnology, or biopharma
- Enthusiasm and ambition, with a desire to improve the
efficiency of legal services.
- A solid understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm
and in-house counsel and the legal market.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- very close attention to detail;
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain
- strong technical drafting skills; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to
undertake writing and editing tests.
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way
knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day
to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson
Reuters, we've been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our
industry-leading products and services include highly specialized
information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting
and compliance professionals combined with the world's most global
news services - Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs
better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that
matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more
than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and
grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate
diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy,
fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty
to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the
industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and
thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek
talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the
world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy,
gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual
orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status,
veteran status, or any other protected classification under
applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals
with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in
accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on
Carrollton-Texas-United States of
America;Chicago-Illinois-United States of
America;Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America;New York-New
York-United States of America
Req #: JREQ141226
Locations: Carrollton-Texas-United States of
America|Chicago-Illinois-United States of
America|Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America|New York-New
York-United States of America
Job Function: Publishing / Editorial
Keywords: Carolina Power & Light Co, New York , Senior Legal Attorney Editor, Patent *REMOTE*, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!