Part-Time Resource Specialist in Bilingual Education or World Language Instruction
Company: New York University
Location: New York
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The NYS Statewide Language Regional Bilingual Education Resource
Network (RBERN) at NYU Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity
and the Transformation of Schools (NYU Metro Center) invites
applications for part-time Resource Specialist in Bilingual
Education or World Language Instruction position, with preference
given to Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Haitian, Creole, Russian and
Spanish languages. As an integral member of the team, the Resource
Specialist will provide specialized technical assistance, guidance
and support to schools and districts throughout the New York State
aimed at improving educational opportunities and outcomes for
Multilingual Learners/English Language Learners and World Language
Students.Who We AreThe NYS Statewide Language RBERN is funded by
the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Office of Bilingual
Education and World Languages (OBEWL) to provide support for the
education of Multilingual Learners/English Language Learners
(MLLs/ELLs), and students of Languages Other Than English (LOTE)
(aka World Languages). In order to support the commitment of the
New York State Education Department to higher standards for all
students through the Commissioners Regulations and the Regents
Reform Agenda, the Language RBERN aims to develop and strengthen
the skills, knowledge, and competencies of educators, parents, and
local communities.Our vision is to build the capacity of the
educational community to enable Multilingual Learners/English
Language Learners and World Language students to reach their full
potential, become life-long learners, and successfully contribute
to an ever-changing competitive global society.Districts and
schools statewide are offered technical assistance, professional
development and resource materials, including information that
strengthens the teaching and learning of students of English as a
new language and students of languages other than English.For more
information about NYS Statewide Language RBERN, please visit:
- Provide guidance and technical support to school and district
leaders in developing comprehensive school improvement plans around
MLLs/ELLs success and/or world languages, including strategic plans
for curriculum, instruction, and organizational management.
- Develop and conduct professional development workshops to
teachers, school staff and parents of ELLs, as required.
- Conduct on-site monitoring reviews for CR Part 154, Title III,
and TSI/CSI schools and districts to assess and support
district/school implementation of requirements.
- Serve as an expert in research-based trends and best practices
for ELLs and/or world languages, while recognizing the diversity
among students with respect to previous schooling, immigration
experience, culture and socioeconomic status.
- Develop materials and conduct professional development
workshops and on-site coaching to school administrators,
instructional and other school-based staff on special topics
affecting MLLs/ELLs and World Language students.
- Collaborate with NYSED OBEWL staff in addressing critical
topics, such as compliance, SIFE, NYSITELL, Long-Term ELLs, and
ELLs with disabilities.
- Translate informational and educational materials for students
and families, and assist in translating and responding to ELL
Parent Hotline and Website inquiries.
- Assist parents and educators to access the resources available
at the school and district levels
- Serve as liaison in matters related to parent rights.
- Attend all required meetings and conferences, including two (2)
two-day (all staff) network-wide meetings in Albany and/or other
venues.Please note that this is not the exclusive list of job
functions for this position.In compliance with NYCs Pay
Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is
$45-$55/hour. New York University considers factors such as (but
not limited to) the specific grant funding and the terms of the
research grant when extending an offer.
- Masters degree or above in at least one or more of the
following: Bilingual Education, TESOL, Applied Linguistics,
World/Foreign Language Instruction, Curriculum and Instruction,
International/Global Education, or other related education and
- Valid New York State certification as a teacher of MLLs/ELLs
(teaching certificate in English to Speakers of Other Languages
[ESOL]-Grades K-12, or Bilingual Extension Certificate, or teacher
of world/foreign language or its equivalent).
- Minimum of five (5) years of teaching experience in bilingual
education and/or ENL.
- Demonstrated literacy and fluency in English and one of the
target languages, with preference given to Arabic, Bengali,
Chinese, Haitian Creole, Russian and Spanish.
- Ability and willingness to travel to and participate in
required meetings in Albany and/or other venues (such as a two (2)
two-day (all staff) network-wide meetings) and to districts/school
(such as multi-day district/school reviews) within New York State
including schools within New York City.Preferred Qualifications
- District and/or school-based program supervision of ELL and/or
world language programs and instruction
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative, judicial, and outside
agency mandates, including those of the federal government, the
State Education Department (SED) and the New York State Board of
Regents affecting MLLs/ELLs, including:
- Commissioners Regulations Part 154;
- ESSA Title III: Language Instruction for MLLs/ELLs and
- New York State Strategies for Raising Standards;
- The Blueprint for ELL/MLL Success
- Bilingual Progressions
- Culturally Responsive-Sustaining (CR-S) Framework
- Understanding of issues related to access, equity, and
excellence for MLLs/ELLs and world language instruction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the educational needs of the diverse
segments of MLLs/ELLs in grades K-12, including newly identified
and emerging groups of ELL students, Long-term ELLs, and Students
with Interrupted Formal Education (SIFE).
- Strong content knowledge of instructional and operational best
practices that address academic, linguistic and cultural needs of
MLLs/ELLs and World Language students.
- Extensive experience in instruction of English Language
Learners at all stages of English acquisition.
- Knowledge of and experience with administering and analyzing
student language assessments and data.
- Experience working with diverse populations of students,
parents and families.Please submit resume and cover letter.For
people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights
under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdprNYU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in
every aspect of its recruitment and hiring process without regard
to age, alienage, caregiver status, childbirth, citizenship status,
color, creed, disability, domestic violence victim status,
ethnicity, familial status, gender and/or gender identity or
expression, marital status, military status, national origin,
parental status, partnership status, predisposing genetic
characteristics, pregnancy, race, religion, reproductive health
decision making, sex, sexual orientation, unemployment status,
veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial
and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or
gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are
encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all
levels.Sustainability Statement NYU aims to be among the greenest
urban campuses in the country and carbon neutral by 2040. Learn
more at nyu.edu/sustainability
Keywords: New York University, New York , Part-Time Resource Specialist in Bilingual Education or World Language Instruction, Other , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!