Patient Care Technician - Float Pool Evenings
Company: NYU Langone Health
Location: New York
Posted on: March 28, 2020
NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital at NYU Langone Health is one of
the nation's leading orthopedic and rheumatologic, specialty
hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of
musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most
advanced orthopedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal
disorders and the largest pediatric orthopedic program in New York
City. The hospital is consistently ranked among the leading
orthopedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our
expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with
the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect
patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following
areas: Orthopedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Care
Technician. In this role, the successful candidate assists the
professional nurse in the care of patients and families by
completing assigned patient care tasks; provides competent, safe,
and compassionate care with emphasis on an understanding of the
challenges faced by hospitalization, undergoing procedures or
diagnostic tests; provides support to the unit in the maintenance
and safety of supplies, equipment and the environment; demonstrates
NYULMC Core Values in all aspects of job performance.
- Demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy,
dignity, and rights.
- Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and
- Assists in the collection of data for the units Quality and
Performance Improvement Program that includes patient satisfaction
and other measures.
- Assists the nurse in the review and corrective action plans
regarding patient/family response and satisfaction.
- Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when
- Discusses educational concerns and goals with the Nurse Manager
or appropriate leadership.
- Seeks learning resources for identified learning
- Participates in unit meetings and conferences.
- Participates in the orientation process of other patient care
- Completes annual mandatory education requirements for patient
- Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of
specific patient age groups and different cultures.
- Assists in emergency situations as directed.
- Assists in supporting unit activities as requested.
- Utilizes specialized skills and safety when carrying out
specific tasks of patient care as assigned, including phlebotomy,
point of care tests (for example, fingersticks for glucose and
pregnancy test), and electrocardiograms.
- Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control
- Assists with admission, transfer and discharge procedures per
unit / service operations.
- Assists in maintaining safety and comfort needs of patients and
- Assists in data collection and activities as assigned.
- Verbally and non-verbally communicates responsiveness and
support to patients, families and other staff.
- Observes general behavior and reports same to the registered
nurse to whom assigned.
- Provides assistance to patients in the activities.
- Completes delegated responsibilities as directed by the
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care
- Uses a clear, caring and respectful communication style with
patients and families, nurses and other members of the health care
- Answers patients call lights promptly and effectively;
completes patient requests for assistance with personal care and
activity, and reports those requests not within the role of the
patient care technician to the professional nurse assigned to the
- Responds to requests for specific tasks as delegated by any
registered professional nurse.
- Reports all observations concerning patients to the
professional nurse responsible for the patient on a given
- Maintains cleanliness of the nursing unit as appropriate to
position. (i.e., utility room, unit refrigerators, etc.).
- Provides for security of patients personal property, and
handles valuables according to hospital procedure.
- Gives direct assistance to all team members, including
registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, physicians, nursing
attendants, patient unit clerks, escort, dietary and other health
- Assists in having patient ready for scheduled appointments
including placing the patient on a stretcher or in a
- Runs errands to other departments, including but not limited
to, the delivery of specimens and equipment.
- Assists in keeping patient environment, patient equipment and
patient care areas/units clean, safe and orderly.
- Ensures that necessary equipment and supplies are present in
the patient rooms and on the unit.
To qualify you must have a High school graduate or equivalent
required. Must have active NHA (National Health Careers) PCT and
AHA BLS certifications upon entry into the position. Working
knowledge of English is evident in verbal, reading and writing
abilities; other language an asset; demonstrated ability in
computer skills; proficiency in venipuncture and phlebotomy
required. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively
communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital at NYU Langone Health is an equal
opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity
and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All
qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender
identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender
status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion,
disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental
status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor
which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment
decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view the NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital at NYU
Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here
to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit
more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click
Keywords: NYU Langone Health, New York , Patient Care Technician - Float Pool Evenings, Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!