Union - Chief Engineer
Company: Newmark Knight Frank
Location: New York
Posted on: November 23, 2020
NEWMARK KNIGHT FRANK (NKF) is one of the world's leading
commercial real estate advisory firms. We provide a fully
integrated platform of services to prominent multinational
corporations and institutional investors across the globe, as well
as to occupiers, owners and developers of real estate on a local,
regional and national level.
Together with London-based partner Knight Frank and
independently-owned offices, NKF's 14,100 professionals operate
from more than 400 offices in established and emerging property
markets on six continents.
Provides administrative and technical direction for the operation
and maintenance of the building. Manages the building engineering
staff in conjunction with the Property Manager. Responsible for
implementing and tracking company policies and procedures to
maintain the asset at the highest level. May be responsible for
more than one site.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
AUDIT OPERATIONS - Ensure operating personnel are capable of
handling tasks (qualified people are in place), people are
productive and in compliance with OSHA and EPA. Ensure that
training is being provided to less qualified staff members. Ensure
that proper bid procedures are being followed. Ensure that best
prices for commodities are being obtained. Ensure that service
contractors are performing work properly.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Ensure project is well defined and understood,
develop effective project plan which results in project results
that meet cost, schedule, quality, functionality objectives (short
and long term) and compliance with business controls.
CAPITAL PLANNING - Prepare annual capital plan for building
systems, structure, parking, grounds, etc. at site(s) responsible.
Plan to include item descriptions, estimated costs, and priority of
items, project dependencies, proposed schedules, priority and
risk/ramifications if work is not performed. Provide capital
planning support to peers in District as requested.
UTILITY MANAGEMENT - Keep current on state of energy technology
related to building systems. Provide recommendations to management
and include short payback projects in capital plan. Keep current on
regulations (and deregulation) related to utilities. Ensure site(s)
responsible is getting lowest unit cost utility. Develop programs
for demand control.
SUPPLIERS - Develop product specifications and supplier sources for
materials required to perform job. Material/equipment selections
should be based on lowest life cycle cost and in accordance with
existing building grade.
TOOLS/EQUIPMENT INVENTORY - Perform annual inventory of tools and
equipment and provide for same to Building Manager noting and
changes and explanation as well as identifying new/additional
required with supporting justification.
MONTHLY REPORTS - Provide a monthly narrative of activities
highlighting non-routine events such as major projects, training
received, savings achieved, significant customer service items and
issues/concerns. Reports to be submitted on time without
CUSTOMER SERVICE - Respond to tenant complaints in a timely
STAFFING - Participate in staffing process and provide
recommendations regarding staffing of open operations positions.
Expectation is that the Building Manager will review recommended
candidate(s) after performed initial screening.
AFTER HOURS COVERAGE - Ensure an afterhours program to provide
adequate technical coverage. Participation between staff should be
STAFF TRAINING Ensure development plan exists for each operations
person. Develop cross training program between staff.
PEER INSPECTIONS Coordinate peer inspection data for site(s)
responsible for to ensure readiness for the yearly property
inspection. Will be expected to participate in other peer
inspections at other sites.
MAY PERFORM OTHER JOB DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Boilers/Supporting Equipment Operate to approved spec.
* Chillers / Supporting Equipment Operate to approved spec.
* HVAC Fans Operate to approved spec.
* UPS System Monitor to approved spec.
* Electrical High Voltage Systems and Emergency Power Monitor to
* Electrical Secondary (non-critical) Monitor to approved spec.
* Training Train all inexperienced mechanical technicians to run
all mechanical and electrical systems in support of building
* Shift Scheduling Provide scheduled coverage on all shifts that
give coverage yet strive to reduce overtime.
* Supervise/coordinate tenant fit-up work and building construction
* Responsible for all necessary maintenance and operational
* Boilers/Chillers/HVAC Systems 99% reliability. Provide direction
on repairs as needed.
* Electrical Secondary (non-critical) 98% reliability. Provide
quality repairs, call certified electrician as needed.
* Plumbing systems. Provide direction on repairs as needed.
* General Building Maintenance.
* Ensure that all conditions conform to OSHA and all other safety
and health guidelines.
* Ensure complete compliance with all applicable municipal, state
and federal codes and regulations.
PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE (PM):
Critical Equipment All PM done on schedule, no breakdown due to
improper PM. 100% availability of equipment. Develop new PM s or
change as necessary. No equipment left undone.
Non-critical Equipment All PM done to approved schedule. 95%
availability. Develop new PM s in system and complete on time.
* Promptly report all incidents, accidents, and/or injuries and
provide thorough evaluation regarding cause and effect. Implement
corrective actions as necessary to prevent further occurrences.
* Implement all OSHA requirements.
* Recommendations and policy implementation for engineering
* Maintenance of current position descriptions for all engineers at
* Recommendations and implementation of training programs and
activities for subordinates and trainees and access the progress of
the individuals involved.
* Complete performance appraisals for all direct reports.
* Responsible for monitoring performance of Engineers under his/her
Log Book Entries Review operational information documented in shift
log book prior to end of shift.
Work Orders and PM Work Review any difficulties in getting work
completed as assigned and make adjustments. Document problems
encountered as needed.
* BUSINESS CONTROLS:
* Develop business controls for operations and maintenance
* Prepare annual operating budget for Property/Portfolio
* Approval of engineer personnel time sheets approve overtime.
Newmark Knight Frank is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including
sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin,
disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic
protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
Keywords: Newmark Knight Frank, New York , Union - Chief Engineer, Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!