Sr. Highway Estimator
Location: New York
Posted on: April 10, 2021
SUMMARYThe Senior Estimator will support and work with
preconstruction, bidding and business development staff in the
review of project plans, requirements and specifications. The
Senior Estimator is responsible for the accurate and timely
preparation of estimates for jobs to be bid, all kind of civil
projects and specifically for highways projects (and other linear
projects such as rail), including earthwork, drainage, pavement,
utilities, and other related activities and supervision of take
offs and coordination and/or supervisions of other estimators and
engineers. The Senior Estimator shall have extensive knowledge of
construction means and methods, costs and engineering and industry
- Review project plans, requirements, and specifications.
- Determine labor and equipment costs
- Prepare and/or review accurate quantity takeoffs, breakdowns
and materials pricing.
- Discuss and propose optimal means and methods and identify
- Evaluate all bid documents and assess project risks.
- Understand project logistics and project schedule.
- Prepare bid packages. Compare and analyze competitive
subcontractor and supplier bids.
- Procurement and quote solicitation effort
- Review quotes and estimates with the Project Management Team
- Prepare estimates at different levels of completion
(conceptual, Schematic, DD, CD, etc.), including production rates,
creating WBS structure and unit prices for all activities..)
- Perform certain post-bid buyouts.
- Perform pre-construction duties and meetings with Clients,
Owners, and Suppliers, and JV Partners.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or Construction
- A minimum of 8 years of experience as an Estimator
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior level estimating
role or project manager role for major civil projects and highways
- A minimum of 10 years of construction experience. More than 10
years would be considered as a plus. Onsite experience is a
- Public works sector experience required (Private is a
- Familiarity of all aspects of horizontal and infrastructure
- Recent experience with a large civil/highway/bridge
- Strong experience with civil estimating required
- Design-Build experience would be a plus
- Recent experience with JV bid settings is a plus.
- Advanced computer skills with estimating software (knowledge of
HCSS Heavybid is preferred)
- Advanced computers skills with MS Office, Primavera P6,
- Knowledge AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation is a plus
- Extensive knowledge of construction costs and engineering
- Design Build experience (contractor or designer side)
- Ability to interpret construction drawings
- Knowledge of means and methods and construction techniques
- Knowledge of construction costs and engineering principles
- Knowledge of construction industry, trends, innovation,
- On-site and field experience on civil projects will be
- Effective presentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated aptitude to understand engineering projects
- Organizational ability - able to plan, prioritize, organize and
monitor activities and projects. Able to work well in a group
environment and foster a team approach.
- Well organized, flexible, detail oriented and
- Teamwork: Work collaboratively with other team members to
achieve goals, ask for inputs by valuing others' ideas and
expertise, and support and acts in accordance with final decisions,
even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own
- Ability to establish and maintain good relationships and
partnerships with clients, vendors, subcontractors and construction
- Ability to raise topics that needs to be discussed with team or
required a company decision
- Ability to identify project risks
- Prioritize work load and consistently meet deadlines while
constantly changing tasks and demands
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising quality of
- Foster development of junior staff
- Ability to work with other engineers and estimators and be part
of a cohesive team.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner
discriminate against employees or applicants because they have
inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of
another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as
a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of
other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise
have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is
(a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance
of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Dragados, New York , Sr. Highway Estimator, Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!