Senior Landscape Architect/Studio Director (10+ years)
Location: New York
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Join SWA/Balsley!Join the new firm of SWA/Balsley to leverage
your hard-earned design, technical, management, and NYC expertise
into your next great title and leadership opportunity on projects
of all types throughout the U.S. and abroad.SWA/Balsley is actively
seeking a highly skilled Senior Landscape Architect/Studio Director
for immediate employment in the award-winning New York City Studio.
SWA/Balsley has evolved from Thomas Balsley Associates into a
collaborative studio whose philosophy places a high value on design
contribution at all phases of a project's development.
SWA/Balsley's portfolio focuses on resilient and sustainable urban
public realms, such as parks, waterfronts, and landscape
infrastructure, as well as high profile and diverse tower, mixed
use, residential, education, and commercial projects.In
collaboration with ASLA National Design Medalist Tom Balsley and
other studio leaders, you can seize this unique opportunity to help
shape the direction of a new dynamic studio, develop a robust
portfolio of design excellence and engage with other studios of SWA
- the largest landscape architecture firm in the U.S.About the
- Shared leadership role with the managing principal in directing
the studio and its people.
- Design, documentation, and construction administration of your
own and others current and future projects.
- Project management, client management, and coordination of your
own and others projects.
- Representing the firm at client and agency meetings and
- Mentoring and developing the skills of landscape architecture
- Contributing to the marketing/business development efforts and
- Innovation QNS in Astoria, New York
- Fordham Landing in the Bronx, New York
- Bayfront Redevelopment in Jersey City, New Jersey
- Uptown ATX in Austin, Texas
- TPLink Headquarters in Shenzhen, China
- Shijiazhuang CBD Park in Shijiazhuang, China
- OSIRIA in Seoul, South Korea
- Nelson Mandela Park in Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Jeddah Central District in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Wadi Safar in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Golden Gate in Cairo, EgyptWe are looking for someone who:
- Has extensive management and technical experience with
landscape architectural firms and large complex projects.
- Has familiarity with NYC public agencies as well as the private
- Is a team player who collaborates as part of a diverse studio
team from design through execution.
- Possesses strong problem solving, critical thinking, and
- Has strong verbal, written, and graphic communication
- Can work autonomously with strong organizational and time
- Displays leadership qualities, drive, and self-initiative.
- Able to represent the firm at conferences and events and to
travel both nationally and abroad.
- Has directed, mentored, and trained junior staff and entry
- Liaise with PR, social media, and marketing for rainmaking
- Lead and help drive growth for a new firm with an established
national design reputation for thought leadership.
- Opportunities to lead diverse project types of the highest
design caliber including national and international public parks as
well as on-going and new NYC metropolitan commissions.
- Extraordinary personal title and leadership growth potential
within SWA/Balsley and the affiliate SWA.
- A legendary reputation for "design first" as well as SWA's XL
Lab and its Field Groups.
- Opportunities to cross-fertilize with SWA's eight other studios
and their leaders across the U.S. and abroad.
- SWA is an Employee Ownership firm with an unparalleled benefits
package including fully funded bonuses, profit sharing, employee
stock ownership, full 401k match, generous health insurance, and
H1B sponsorship in the U.S. where applicable.
- Work in the vibrant and easily accessed NoMad neighborhood of
NYC.About SWA/Balsley and SWA Group:SWA/Balsley is a predecessor to
Thomas Balsley Associates whose work has earned national and
international reputation for award-winning public parks, plazas,
and waterfronts designed to the highest standards of social,
cultural, and environmental resiliency and is led by the National
ASLA Design Medalist Tom Balsley. SWA/Balsley notable projects
include Riverside Park South, Peggy Rockefeller Plaza, Hunter's
Point South and Gantry Plaza Parks, Burj Khalifa Dubai, San Jacinto
Plaza, Curtis Hixon Park, Perk Park, Osaka World Trade Center, and
51 Astor Place. Our affiliate, SWA Group, is the largest landscape
architecture firm in the U.S.- with studios in Houston, Dallas, Los
Angeles, Laguna Beach, San Francisco, Sausalito, Shanghai, and an
affiliate office in New York, SWA/Balsley.SWA works to develop
complete designers throughout their careers versed in concept
design through construction, eventually specializing according to
their strengths and talents. As a 60 year old employee-owned
company, SWA has some of the best employee benefits in the
industry. Profit sharing, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
contributions, and bonuses are additional compensation to
competitive salaries. This adds to full medical coverage, dental
insurance, emergency medical and travel assistance, pre-tax
commuter checks, paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday), 401K
matching contribution to your retirement plan, supplemental paid
parental leave, reimbursement of testing for licensure, and H1B
sponsorship in the U.S. where applicable.Minimum Requirements:
- Accredited Degree in Landscape Architecture or
- 10+ years of professional experience.
- Excellent written, verbal, and graphic communication
- Experience in project and client management, design and
technical documentation, construction support services, studio and
team management, and rainmaking.
- Fluency in AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative
- Licensed in the State of New York or ability to obtain license
within 1 year.
- Experience working with NYC public agencies, particularly Parks
and DDC. - - - - - - - -Experience leading a variety of public and
private projects at a range of scales.
- Knowledge of Revit, Rhino, SketchUp, and other 3D computer
- Strong knowledge of construction documentation and plant
- Experience in business development and marketing.
- Prior leadership experience with large teams.Apply:
- Portfolio (PDF, 20MB max.)
- Resume/CV (word or PDF)
- Contact information for 2-3 references
- Cover letterSend materials in PDF format to
email@example.com. We will carefully consider your application
during our initial screening and will contact you if you are
selected for an interview by video-conference. Learn more about our
firm at http://swabalsley.com.
Keywords: SWA/Balsley, New York , Senior Landscape Architect/Studio Director (10+ years), Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!