Machine Shop Manager
Company: Upward Farms
Location: New York
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job DescriptionUpward Farms designs and operates complete
ecosystems of plants and fish in vertical farms, supplying these
organic products to local grocers. We are currently expanding and
have recently opened a new cutting-edge, fully automated facility
in Brooklyn. More and larger farms are in the works. Our mission is
to heal the broken food system and reconnect eaters with flavorful
and nutritious local food.In this role, you will be at the
forefront of Upward Farms prototyping of agricultural, automation,
processing, and life support systems and will be tasked with
rapidly bringing ideas from CAD to reality. You will work with the
engineering design team to fabricate prototypes and modify existing
machines and equipment. Success in this position looks like:
- Safely, rapidly, and accurately assemble prototypes,
communicating with designers and providing feedback.
- Rapidly produce parts and assemblies for use in testing,
experiments, and production.
- Maintaining an organized inventory of raw and scrap materials,
fittings, fasteners, and consumables.
- Seamlessly managing shipping logistics for equipment, machinery
and prototypes between local facilities including crating and
- Specify, land, install, and commission equipment new machine
- Specify and procure tools and new equipment.
- Layout and coordinate utilities for future equipment
- Safely and efficiently supervise and coordinate all activity in
a machine shop of approximately 3,000 SF.
- Train colleagues in the proper use of equipment, enforce safety
regulations, assign tasks, and oversee fabrication and repair
- Interpret blueprints, create cost estimates, and develop
fabrication plans to complete assembly projects, providing feedback
on constructability and cost.
- Upgrade and maintain machinery, order parts and raw materials,
and ensure repair records are kept current.
- Manages logistics of shipping and receiving machinery,
equipment, and raw materials including loading/unloading.
- 5+ years of related experience.
- 3+ years of management experience in manufacturing, machining,
prototyping, or manufacturing.
- Outstanding fabrication proficiency in carpentry, steel
welding, wiring, plumbing, electrical, assembly, cutting, grinding,
- Familiarity and working understanding of 3D printing, laser
cutting, CnC routing, water jet.
- Extensive knowledge of traditional hand and shop tools for
electrical power, compressed air tools, HVAC, electric pumps and
- Proficiency in all measuring instruments and techniques and
ability to work in both metric and imperial units while maintaining
- Experience working with a variety of materials; understanding
material properties and how to most efficiently process them.
- Proficiency in:
- Fastener selection. Understanding of all fastener types,
designations, thread pitches, standards and their respective
- Forklift use and training.
- Effective communication techniques
- Troubleshooting experience in all trades.
- Shipping and receiving logisticsPreferred Skills + Experience
- Trade school, bachelors degree, or related certifications in
engineering and design.
- Rigging and hauling of heavy machinery and equipment.
- Stainless steel sanitary welding experience and plasma
- Machining operations including running a lathe and vertical
- Familiarity with electrical troubleshooting techniques with a
- Experience working with composites including fiberglass and
carbon fiber construction.BenefitsWe offer a dynamic work
environment and benefits that include:
- Aetna Medical, Aetna and MetLife Dental, and Aetna Vision
insurance; FSA/HSA plans; and HIPAA-compliant health advocates.
Upward Farms contributes 80-95% of the premium for Medical benefits
for employees and their families.
- 10 days paid sick time. For extended illness, we offer short
- Up to 20 days paid time off per year, depending on experience,
in addition to paid holidays.
- For new parents, an extension of New York States paid family
leave for up to 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave. This leave
is in addition to Disability leave available to pregnant and
- Commuter benefits, discounted bike shares, and other
- Fresh salad, and lots of it!Working HereWe are an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Our needs are unique and varied so we value
colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, and/or protected veteran status.Please
note we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position;
applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United
States on a full-time basis.
Keywords: Upward Farms, New York , Machine Shop Manager, Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!