Patient Care Technician-PPCU-Nights
Company: NYU Langone Health
Location: New York
Posted on: August 7, 2022
is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical
center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and
education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New
York area, including , , and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of
NYU Langone Health is the , a National Cancer Institute designated
comprehensive cancer center, and , which since 1841 has trained
thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the
course of medical history. For more information, go to -, and
interact with us on -, -, -, -, -, - -and -.Position Summary:We
have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Care
Technician-PPCU-Nights. In this role, the successful candidate
Assists the professional nurse in the care of patients and families
by completing assigned patient care tasks; provides competent,
safe, and compassionate care with emphasis on an understanding of
the challenges faced by hospitalization, undergoing procedures or
diagnostic tests; provides support to the unit in the maintenance
and safety of supplies, equipment and the environment; demonstrates
NYU Langone Health Core Values in all aspects of job
- Demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy,
dignity, and rights
- Demonstrates knowledge of the NYU Langone Health Core Values
and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Ensures that necessary equipment and supplies are present in
the patient rooms and on the unit.
- Assists in keeping patient environment, patient equipment and
patient care areas/units clean, safe and orderly.
- Runs errands to other departments, including but not limited
to, the delivery of specimens and equipment.
- Assists in having patient ready for scheduled appointments
including placing the patient on a stretcher or in a
- Gives direct assistance to all team members, including
registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, physicians, nursing
attendants, patient unit clerks, escort, dietary and other health
- Provides for security of patients personal property, and
handles valuables according to hospital procedure. Maintains
cleanliness of the nursing unit as appropriate to position. (i.e.,
utility room, unit refrigerators, etc.).
- Reports all observations concerning patients to the
professional nurse responsible for the patient on a given shift
Responds to requests for specific tasks as delegated by any
registered professional nurse.
- Answers patients call lights promptly and effectively;
completes patient requests for assistance with personal care and
activity, and reports those requests not within the role of the
patient care technician to the professional nurse assigned to the
- Uses a clear, caring and respectful communication style with
patients and families, nurses and other members of the health care
team. Functions as a respectful member of the health care
- Completes delegated responsibilities as directed by the
- Provides assistance to patients in the activities (listed in
the Performance Standards by service/unit) as applicable.
- Observes general behavior and reports same to the registered
nurse to whom assigned.
- Verbally and non-verbally communicates responsiveness and
support to patients, families, and other staff.
- Assists in data collection and activities as assigned.Assists
in maintaining safety and comfort needs of patients and
families.Assists with admission, transfer and discharge procedures
per unit / service operations.
- Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control
- Utilizes specialized skills and safety when carrying out
specific tasks of patient care as assigned, including phlebotomy,
fingersticks for glucose, and electrocardiograms.
- Assists in supporting unit activities as requested. Assists in
emergency situations as directed.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of
specific patient age groups and different cultures.
- Completes annual mandatory education requirements for patient
- Participates in the orientation process of other patient care
technicians. Participates in unit meetings and conferences.
- Seeks learning resources for identified learning needs.
- Discusses educational concerns and goals with the Nurse Manager
or appropriate leadership.
- Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when
- Assists the nurse in the review and corrective action plans
regarding patient/family response, and satisfaction.
- Assists in the collection of data for the units Quality and
Performance Improvement Program, that includes patient satisfaction
and other measures.
- Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and
environmental support.Minimum Qualifications:To qualify you must
have a High school graduate or equivalent required. Patient Care
Technician Certification through NHA required upon hire or transfer
into the position. BLS certification (Issued by the American Heart
Association-AHA) OR Heartsaver CPR/AED certification (Issued by the
American Heart Association-AHA) is required upon entry to the
position.Competencies: Working knowledge of English is evident in
verbal, reading and writing abilities; other language an asset;
demonstrates ability in computer skills; proficiency in
venipuncture and phlebotomy required.Qualified candidates must be
able to effectively communicate with all levels of the
organization.NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more
than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be
proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your
time and your talents.NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity
and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and
inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All
qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender
identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender
status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion,
disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental
status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor
which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment
decision. We require applications to be completed online. If you
wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please . Please to
view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit for more
information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please .
Keywords: NYU Langone Health, New York , Patient Care Technician-PPCU-Nights, Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!