Data Science Analyst II - Mount Sinai Health Partners
Company: Mount Sinai Medical Center
Location: New York
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Strength Through Diversity Ground breaking science.Advancing
medicine.Healing made personal. Job Title: Data Science Analyst II
- Mount Sinai Health Partners Background Mount Sinai is one of the
largest non-profit health systems in the U.S. with a strong
reputation for quality of care (18th ranked academic medical
center) and research/education (22nd ranked medical school). Our
health system has -40,000 employees working together to provide
billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients
each year. We are accelerating a transition to a business model
focused on population health management - our goal is to keep
entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai
Health Partners (MSHP) is the team driving this transformation
within Mount Sinai. The team includes 400+ employees with clinical,
contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product
development expertise. MSHP is a fast growing business unit within
Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
- Are comfortable "playing up" and "playing down" as needed to
accomplish business objectives
- Work productively amidst ambiguity
- Thrive in fast-paced work environments
- Seek to improve the status quo Within MSHP, the Clinical
Pharmacy Operations Department is responsible for medication
management quality, cost, utilization and clinical stewardship
activities at both the practice and program level. They work
closely with the MSHP Quality and Efficiency Team. Role Summary The
Data Science Analyst II collaborates with stakeholders from across
the organization to develop sophisticated analytics to provide
information, insights and BI (Business Intelligence) solutions that
contribute to sound strategic planning, decision-making, goal
setting, and effective performance measurement. The Data Science
Analyst II demonstrates sound and a more advanced understanding of
the healthcare domain, technical data manipulation and analytic
development skills and impact the patient community of the Mount
Sinai Health System Responsibilities
- Analyzes data requests using information technology,
enrollment, claims, pharmacy, clinical, contract, medical
management, financial, administrative and other corporate data from
both modeled and disparate internal and external sources.
- Works with departmental staff to identify requirements for
reporting and / or business intelligence tools.
- Identifies necessary data, data sources and methodologies.
- Collects, organizes, integrates, analyzes and interprets
- Leverages advanced statistical analysis methods to create
insightful recommendations and conclusions that may be communicated
to the stakeholder.
- Identifies and addresses expected and unforeseen data
complexities to mitigate their impact on the analytic outcome and
associated business decisions. Works to improve data quality where
possible within created analytical models. Feeds data quality
issues back to IT or identified data stewards to facilitate
creation of high quality metrics.
- Develops and may present reports, analyses and findings to
senior management and others as scheduled or requested.
- Responsible for one or more of the following stakeholder
- Contracting and Commercialization - May assist in the modeling
and forecasting contract scenarios, measuring ongoing performance
and identify trends in performance to inform our clinical or
contracting staff to improve contract outcomes.
- Care Management - Helps to identify, understand and prioritize
at-risk members in need of care management. Helps stratify our
membership to optimally use resources to focus on the patients most
in need, currently or in the future.
- Medical Directors - Helps to identify utilization trends and
variations across the different categories of health care services
to assist the Medical Directors to focus their efforts to maximize
contract performance and clinical effectiveness.
- Quality and Documentation - Helps to link payer quality and
documentation opportunities into operational analytic processes to
maximize our quality scores, top line revenue and optimize the use
of resources in concert with MS Health System contracts.
- I.T. / High Performance Computing in any ongoing projects.
- Takes a proactive role as liaison/analyst for internal
stakeholders, understands their needs and translates them into
reporting and analytic solutions.
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and customers and
ensures all requests are properly triaged, recorded and
- Adheres to corporate standards for performance metrics, data
collection, data integrity, query design, and reporting format to
ensure high quality, meaningful analytic output.
- Helps identify and understand data from internal and external
sources for competitive, scenario and performance analyses, and
financial modeling to gain member/provider insight into new and
existing processes and business opportunities.
- Works closely with IT on the ongoing improvement of Mount
Sinai's integrated data warehouse, driven by strategic and business
needs, and designed to ensure data and reporting consistency
throughout the organization.
- Develops and maintains project work plans, including critical
tasks, milestones, timelines, interdependencies and contingencies.
Tracks and reports progress. Keeps stakeholders apprised of project
status and implications for completion.
- Provides technical support to data analytics functions as they
relate to varied business units, and technical expertise on the
selection, development and implementation of various reporting and
BI tools tied to business unit reporting requirements. Creates new
BI reports and interactive dashboards as required.
- Prepares clear, well-organized project-specific documentation,
including, at a minimum, analytic methods used, key decision points
and caveats, with sufficient detail to support comprehension and
- Ensures customers are adequately trained to use self-service BI
tools and dashboards.
- Mentors level I Analysts, and teaches others within the
organization on how to a) define meaningful process and performance
measures, b) develop BI queries, and c) generate and use management
- Shares development and process knowledge with other analysts in
order to assure redundancy and continuously builds a core of
analytical strength within the organization.
- Demonstrates advanced level proficiency with the principles and
methodologies of process improvement. Applies these in the
execution of responsibilities in support of a process focused
- Other duties as assigned Qualifications Education and
- BA or BS degree minimum, in a relevant field of study; Masters
- 5 years minimum in analytics development expertise, preferably
in health care, or for a health provider, health plan or
accountable care organization with working knowledge including
- A health care EMR such as Epic/Clarity, aCW, etc.; a payor
claims system such as Facets, Amisys, etc.; or a hospital/provider
system such as IDX, Soarian, etc. Additional Skills and Qualities
- Knowledge of the New York State Medicaid and CMS Medicare
regulations and related reporting requirements, such as STARS,QARR,
MMCOR, MEDS, RAPS and HEDIS is a strong plus.
- Experience working in a health plan or consulting actuarial,
financial reporting or medical economics departments highly
- Experience as a nurse informaticist highly valuable.
- Experience working in healthcare provider analytics related to
revenue modeling, managed care contracting, population management,
case management, clinical or financial decision report
- PhD, MD or DO program may be substituted for three years of
experience. Strength Through Diversity The Mount Sinai Health
System believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion are key
drivers for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering
exceptional patient care.When you join us, you become a part of
Mount Sinai's unrivaled record of achievement, education, and
advancement as we revolutionize medicine together. We invite you to
participate actively as a part of the Mount Sinai Health System
- Using a lens of equity in all aspects of patient care delivery,
education, and research to promote policies and practices to allow
opportunities for all to thrive and reach their potential
- Serving as a role model confronting racist, sexist, or other
inappropriate actions by speaking up, challenging exclusionary
organizational practices, and standing side-by-side in support of
colleagues who experience discrimination
- Inspiring and fostering an environment of anti-racist behaviors
among and between departments and co-workers We work hard to
acquire and retain the best people and to create an inclusive,
welcoming and nurturing work environment where all feel they are
valued, belong, and are able to professionally advance. We share
the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or
expertise, contribute to the patient experience and quality of
patient care. Explore more about this opportunity and how you can
help us write a new chapter in our history! Who We Are Over 42,000
employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is
to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination
and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and
outreach in the many diverse communities we serve. Formed in
September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the
excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with
seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount
Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount
Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St.
Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai. The
Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides equal employment
opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment
without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their actual or
perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex,
gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, disability,
marital or parental status, sexual orientation, veteran,
immigration, citizenship, or other protected status. EOE including
Veterans and Disabled Compensation
The Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides a salary range to
comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job
The salary range for the role is $87,692.00 - $131,538.00
Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including
experience, education, and hospital need.
The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include
bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation
Keywords: Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York , Data Science Analyst II - Mount Sinai Health Partners, Professions , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!