Company: Columbia University
Location: New York
Posted on: February 10, 2024
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Standard Work Schedule: Will be based on Operational
- Building: Lerner Hall
- Salary Range: $78,200-90,000
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based
on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental
budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses,
specialty, and training. The above hiring range represents the
University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of
possible compensation at the time of posting.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, the Catering Sales Manager is
responsible for generating revenue as set forth in annual budget
through managing sales efforts, solicitation, and maintenance of
Banquet accounts. Oversee Banquets aspects of the full-service
catering department; provide full feedback on all events to
Assistant Director; assist the Assistant Director with special
- Accountable for solicitation of University in-house events,
social, and all other target markets. Execute and attain sales
Goals as agreed upon by the Assistant Director.
- Manage total sales effort with team members to include: outside
calls, blitz calling, new prospect calls, and incoming inquiries as
designated in annual action plan.
- In collaboration with the Events Managers, monitor all banquet
space for preventative maintenance an aesthetic qualities.
Strategize with Events Managers revenue and space
- Report all "need periods" and marketing ideas to Assistant
Director for promotional collateral.
- Monitor and review all correspondence including letters,
e-mails, and contracts/agreements to verify accuracy and
- Conduct periodic comparative analysis of competition. Generate
monthly forecast on 90 period. Submit a detailed month-end report
to Assistant Director.
- Conduct monthly meeting with sales and operation staff;
coordinate and lead event order meeting twice a week with
operations, culinary, and audio-visual. Attend all necessary
meetings as instructed by the Assistant Director.
- Monitor and ensure that all accounts are properly rated, traced
and yielded, and managed through EMS. Ensure that accounts are
cleaned out according to the monthly action plan. (Releasing of
space from system that has not been confirmed to
- Collaborate with Chef and Assistant Director to update and
maintain menu offerings. Create special menus and promotions to
enhance selling tools.
- Recruit and attract high-performin service personnel and retain
a workforce that reflects the diversity of the University. Coach,
train and develop direct reports to improve their skills/knowledge
base to enhance interaction with all food and beverage, sales
managers and operation managers to ensure internal communication
and a positive guest experience.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of related experience required, preferably
catering sales experience in an upscale food and beverage/catering
operation with proven track record of accomplishments.
- Ability to interpret the business goals of the department and
apply sales techniques to execute those goals. Specific experience
desired in banquet sales and catering services.
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills with
ability to handle high-volume workload, manage concurrent projects,
meet deadlines and work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise astute
- Requires excellent customer service orientation, strong
leadership and people skills with ability to build and foster a
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills are highly
desirable. Position requires knowledge of Word and Excel, and
experience with any catering system such as EMS, or
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights/
weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge of New York Metropolitan area and multilingual
ability strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local
Keywords: Columbia University, New York , Manager-Catering Sales, Sales , New York, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!